Intent to switch to Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psylichon, Jul 12, 2013.

1. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I never thought the day would come that I would say this, but I do believe I will be making the switch to Android sometime in the not-so-distant future. I really wish I could stay with Apple because that would make my life a whole lot easier. I just can't ignore my dissatisfaction with my iPhone experience these days.

Don't get me wrong... a jailbroken iPhone is a thing of beauty, despite it being more unstable. I'm regretting losing my jailbreak to beta test iOS7 because I find it pretty underwhelming on a whole. I know it will get better by the GM, but all the things that make an iPhone an iPhone aren't going to change, and I'm getting tired of the restrictions and the cat-and-mouse game of jailbreaking. The things I want are pretty simple:

1. Quick launching of apps from the lock screen.

2. UI customization

3. Larger screen

4. Easy file sharing and manipulation

5. Better integration of Google services, of which I use many

Not to say I'll switch forever. Perhaps Apple will get on the feature bandwagon some point down the road and I'll switch back. Hey, maybe the 5s will blow me away and I won't switch at all. But I kind of doubt it at this point.

My wife intends to stick with her iPhone and I'll still have the iPad. Interfacing with my Apple ecosystem and all my friends and family who are all iPhone will be interesting, but I'll manage. I just feel the time has finally come.

2. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Honestly been feeling the exact same way myself. All my reasons mirror yours in fact. Still not completely sold on the switch yet but that HTC One and Galaxy S4 are looking better and better.

Sent using iCafe app

3. psylichon

psylichon Genius

It just comes down to weighing the pros and cons of both platforms. For the way I use my phone, Android is winning right now. I know the apps aren't as polished, but I'm not really a huge app user. I need better core and web functionality which is where Android is pulling ahead.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Different types of users will have different needs. I have both the HTC One and the iPhone 5 and find myself gravitating back to the iPhone 5. I love the larger screen of the One, but I got tired of downloading app after app to get the phone to do what the iPhone seemed to do natively. There's a lot of give and take here. Still can't send videos via text message. Like I said, everybody has different needs.

5. psylichon

psylichon Genius

What other stock iPhone things can't you do on your One, Naps?

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

When listening to albums that had gapless tracks, I had to do a lot of searching to find an app that could handle this, as the stock music player insisted on separating them.

Texting was a pain. You have to learn a new way of sending text and pictures.

Of course, the same apps on each platform usually result in fewer features on the Android side.

I'm too tired right now to get into any more, but I'll leave these here.

On the plus side, the One is a well-crafted phone with a quality build. It feels good in the hand and the screen is beautiful. The front-facing stereo speakers are also a nice touch.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I switch back and forth on a weekly basis. I've had the Galaxy Note II, Nexus 4, HTC One among others. Quality and performance (speed) of apps outweighs any perceived feature advantage. That's in my humble opinion.

It's better than it has been over there, but if I had to pick a side, it would be no contest. Android still feels raw to me, if that makes any sense.

On a side, yet related note, can you please edit this title so that it is relevant to the topic. Without jumping in the thread, I could have read this as "Hey look, Dave intends to burn his Eagles paraphernalia and become a Cowboys fan".

8. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

Napoleon is spot on, different people have different needs. I made the switch last year and ended up having 3 different Android handsets in 4 months and coming back to iPhone. After all the gimmicks and novelty of the big screen had worn off I found that when it came to the things I regularly use a smartphone for, iPhone did those things better. But the point is that that is my personal experience. You may find Android better for the things you use a smartphone for. Only one way to find out.

9. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Dave,

I made the switch to Android when the Galaxy Nexus was released as a GSM device and I now have the HTC One. I used to jailbreak my iPhone for BiteSMS and to customize the screen, both of which I can do with Android without rooting.

The One is a great phone and Jelly Bean is very smooth. I took the S4 for a test drive and it was a bit laggy (which I think Samsung can fix with an update) but so far my One has been great. I really like the camera features as I use the Zoes all the time with my kids. Also the video Highlight feature is great for sending out a quick synopsis of our day at the waterpark (to me this is a killer feature and why I chose the One over the S4).

Naps.... what was different about texting pictures? I have not really had a problem doing that.

I use my phone all the time and have had all models of iPhones (my wife and kids are currently using my 5, 4s and 4) and to be honest, I did not encounter much of a learning curve when I switched. The biggest issue I faced was music, but double twist quickly made that a non-issue.

I like the ability to be able to download files and have them available to me in one download folder, where I can get to them easily. I wish Apple would give the iPhone a "Home" directory so to speak.

Honestly, both platforms are mature and run very well.
    ~S

10. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I use both Samsung Galaxy S4 (for Glass) and iPhone5
    I leave quiet often the iPhone behind
    I am also not impressed much with iOS7 after I used an Android it seemed meh
    Waiting for the new phones this Fall I make a decision which one I want next.
    iPhone 5s/6
    or looking to see what the Moto X will be like
    or who knows what catches my eye maybe LG's flexible phone?

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

diverdown
    Have someone send a text and a picture to your HTC together. The picture will show up with a play button and the resolution will be so low that you won't even be able to tell what the picture is. I've gotten used to sending text and pics together since iPhones handles it just fine. I have to remember to send them separately to Android phones. You also can't text videos from Android phones unless they are very, very short and okay with the resolution being absolutely terrible. If they are more than a few seconds, you get an error message saying it's too big too send.

The stock Android app can't do in-app texting so you have to use an app such as ChompSMS. It doesn't require rooting like you said, but it has side effects that make it unsuitable for use, IMO. It's definitely not as good as BiteSMS. Many of the apps that allow things that are stock on the iPhone, such as gapless playback, tend to cause new problems that make them a poor choice for a primary app. The gapless playback music app causes a buzzing sound occasionally. Many of the iPhone apps that have Android versions don't have as many features and they open much slower. For example, MLB at Bat takes 20 seconds to open on Android and only 1 second on the iPhone. It also lacks features that the iPhone has. The letters that pop up on the keyboard of the HTC One are very obtrusive, distracting and annoying, so you have to find another keyboard if that type of thing bothers you. It's just one set up after another to get it working like an iPhone does out of the box.

I just use Air Sharing for drag and drop, which works great, but that's rare since I primary use DropBox now. I agree that a native drag and drop feature on the iPhone would be nice, though. It's true that it's user preference and many people will prefer Androids, but testing an HTC One only served to make me further appreciate the iPhone. I would like Text Wrap, but I'm picky and won't settle for an OS that feels unfinished, doesn't integrate with the hardware as well as an iPhone and might not ever get a big update just to gain that feature. But I realize that big screen is very important to many people so I'm really hoping Apple adds a large-screen model to their lineup soon.

12. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

If I was to switch over to "the dark side" (just kidding) the biggest concern I have is my music also. Can one of you that has done it explain how I save my extensive music collection on my iPhone? In depth please, pretend you're talking to a dumb person (about the truth).

Sent using iCafe app

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You just sync with iTunes and then backup the music folder. Do you have a Mac? If you're using Time Machine it backs up the entire computer automatically.

14. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

No, sorry forgot to say I have a PC. Sync in iTunes then......?

Sent using iCafe app

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Then copy your iTunes music folder to a backup drive. Do you need the folder location? Are you using Windows 7?

16. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Seems simple enough. I probably won't switch over anyway. Just getting a little bored with iPhone but with iOS7 coming maybe that will liven me up. Thanks Mindi!

Sent using iCafe app

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're welcome. If you do switch to Android, you would just connect the phone to the computer and drag and drop the music from your iTunes folder into the music folder on the Android phone.

18. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Terry.... I have a mac (not sure if available for the pc) and I use double twist. Great program as it interacts with your iTunes library... If you make a playlist or add songs to an existing playlist, doubletwist automatically updates. Syncs over WiFi with my HTC one.

For backup, I use iTunes match...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

19. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

iOS 7 will liven you up.

20. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I used Smart switch
    http://www.Samsung.com/us/smart-switch/