Interactive iOS7 *concept* based on rumored UI changes

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by acosmichippo, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

2. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Flatter was already posted here on Tuesday.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Good marketing ploy, but I don't see them adopting such a poor design.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yeah, "flatter" has been rumored for quite a while, but that wasn't the point. It's an interactive mockup someone put together, just figured I'd share.

5. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

Geez I hope they can do better than that....
    Tom

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think this gives you an idea. A very basic, rudimentary idea -- but an idea. It wouldn't be surprising to see something along these lines, but a heavy dose of polish.

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yeah, exactly.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't really care about these UI changes. It's surprising that something so petty is getting so much hype. Flat icons is less exciting than when they added the ability to change the SB wallpaper, and it's sad that years later that's still the full extent of theming on stock iOS. Yes, a flat UI change would be nice for a lot of people, but I'm interested in features. Some very basic theming options would be nice. As far as the icons go, I hope they enable scaling of icons, arranging them however we'd like (like Gridlock or Iconclasm allows) and hiding the icon labels.

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I agree to a certain extent, but I wouldn't call UI "petty". Sure, changing something for the sake of appearance is silly, but UI *is* a functional part of the phone, and could use some refreshing for sure.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not saying the UI itself is a petty thing. I meant that flattening the icons, for example, would be a petty change. It serves no functional purpose. It's fine, but it's nothing more than a new look. I would like to see some minor icon and layout customization options like Shrink and Iconclasm offer. I'm not asking for heavy-duty WinterBoard-type theming.

This stuff is all icing on the cake if they give us some basic, useful features that are missing, but on its own, it would be a disappointment.

11. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

That concept would never be in an Apple product, but it is interesting to see what flat icons may look like. As others have stated, this update needs to include many other UI improvements or Apple risks becoming way too stale with iOS. Can't wait until Monday.

12. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

My bad, but the mock up isn't very user friendly.

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I agree with you 100%. But Apple has never been big on allowing users to customize the look and feel of the OS--even before iOS ever existed. Look at OS X--you get two options for buttons, menus, and windows: blue and graphite. I both like and dislike it. When I first started on OS X, I was disappointed. But I've become so accustomed to it that I don't even think about it anymore.

However, I'm happy to see all the iOS 7 hype! It's an indicator that all eyes are on Apple. Even the tiniest shadow of a hint of a rumor coming out of Cupertino about anything gets the crowd going, and this is something even giant competitors like Samsung cannot pretend doesn't exist.

It may also be a sign of the complacency of the masses. Is this a good thing? Perhaps not for society in general, but perhaps so for Apple.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I don't think there is a better one out there, though. These guys aren't pros, but it's still pretty impressive for a mockup made only using the most "basic" of the web programming langauges.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Like I said, I'm not expecting full customization capabilities; that will never happen. Changing the icon size and the dock is an option on OS X, and I think it would be nice to have some minor customization options on iOS as well. I've customized my icons on OS X in the past as well. But basic stuff like that is really easy to do. You can use GeekTool if you want to customize OS X even more.

16. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I personally like the glossy layer for icons. I think a flat design would be rather dull. As Europa said it is all rather petty about the looks of the icon, but what needs to be done is the functionality. I would love to see something more dramatic like an Auxo-type dynamics given to the icons.

17. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

It's a great job they have done with this mock up.
    However if Apple where to go down this route, I would never buy another iPhone
    It's 5 step backwards if they take on this design.
    It's a big no for me !

Sent using a bottle of fairy liquid

18. BlindSpoTT

BlindSpoTT Zealot
    Gold

Swing and a miss?!

Sent using iCafe app

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've been using Android for about two months; it's not a home run, either.

20. BlindSpoTT

BlindSpoTT Zealot
    Gold

I'm saying the interactive model here was the swing and miss. Personally I really like t actual design of iOS 7. I am a web designer, and the clean and clutter free style is what I like.

Sent using iCafe app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.