interesting article from technobuffalo

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I want to hear what you think. Then i will tell you what I think.
Edit: you added the I think it is accurate part while I was typing.

While I agree it seems a new Android comes out every single week. While for some this is ideal. Most people like the new thing. The flavor of the week mind you. While others want to wait for excellence.

Anyone that uses words like "bullhonky" and "craptastic" is all right with me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'll wait to see what Rugaby thinks before I answer.
Edit: I agree with Rugaby, except the bullhonky part.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Totally agree with the comparison of the iPhone as being The One Ring. Would have added a metaphor between Cupertino and Mordor. Would definitely vote that Apple's spaceship campus be called Barad-dûr.

Really a good argument for say an epic work of fantasy. As for consumer technology, I prefer mine at my control and commoditized.

Ironic on many levels; fancy fluffy words with sprinklings of common tongue to be endearing and yet little content, an age old stand mirroring and age old UI, marketing content with a complete lack of understanding for the references, a hope to turn an unassailable strength as a weakness - the mirrored story of capture/build a choke point, dominate and rule, enslave the engine, co-opt and subvert the stronger opponents, stagnate - can't wait for the final book.

The author is obviously one of the cool kids that were never drawn to the trilogy/quartet and so is drawing from the one movie viewing to conjure parallels.

All in all I see this article as quite the Similarion ;)

For those missing the reference, that piece of lit failed too.

As for the 'brick in the wall' closing, finally some truth at his core roots. Wonder what else with the rock and roll. Though to be honest, enjoyed that song but not such a fan that I didn't have to Google Floyd.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Aren't there any geeks amongst you that actually read Tolkien, that also post?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Actually I like this quote.

"BEYOND the world of technology, quality will always triumph over quantity"

Obviously the author has zero clue at how quantity was/is THE driving force to making TECHNOLOGY, a thing of the home. Really, there is no other way to make a Ferrari a mass consumable.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Yep, iP5's sent everyone cross-eyed. Again.
Dummies notes for the cool kids.

In the Lord of the Rings, the one ring was constructed by the villain to; seduce and enslave the masses, corrupt and transform the opposing kings into wretch creatures known as wraiths, and all those that opposed had to hide at the edges to re-foster their strengths. In the end a united and varied mass defeated the maker of The One Ring. In THIS story the ring-side was made up of brutes, masters and slaves.

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
IP5 as much as your astute understanding of tolkien makes sense in the context of this article. Its obvious the author didn't get the lord of the rings like you and others who have read the book. Although her actual points about iPhone v Android are accurate

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
I agree with everything. I have always said until google Android is optimised for a line of devices, it will never better any other operating system (especially not iOS) they are fighting a losing battle against Apple, like everyone else. I mean, look at mp3 players. The first I think of when I think of mp3 players is the iPod. When I think of mobile phones I think of the iPhone. They lead those markets. Apart from the haters, they enjoy quantity over quality it seems. I'd rather have a glass and aluminium phone than I would a plastic piece of tacky Android.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I agree with the author. I also found the article amusing. A fellow co worker walked in Monday with some new lg 3d phone and was showing it to me. So the line about shooting craptastic 3d vids that will make you cross eyed, really amused me....because I was able to experience it first hand. I compare the 3d quality to the cracker jack box hologram prizes we used to get decade ago. While it's not great, I'll say it's a decent first effort. You have to start somewhere and I think this is the beginning of great things to come. I'm actually glad that all of these companies are throwing out Android phones like they are, it makes the technology grow faster, which in the end...is good for us consumers. Android on lol! iPhone still rules in my book!

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
:) glad you recognize it makes the
I'm actually glad that all of these companies are throwing out Android phones like they are, it makes the technology grow faster, which in the end...is good for us consumers. Android on lol! iPhone still rules in my book!
:) Glad you recognize it makes the innovation in the hardware accelerate much quicker than with just one buyer and that it's Apple just leaves less room for the R&D guy.

Did you just call all of us brutes?
In Tolkien's story there were brutes. Here it all depends on the content of my rant :)

Oct 3, 2009
I refer to them as BlAndroid phones, due to the relative homogenization of their physical appearances and specifications.
That's pretty funny considering the iPhone is by far the blandest of the bland and homogenization of their physical appearances and operation is what many fan boys tout as the single best feature of iOS and the iPhone over any Android based phone.

This one looks the same as the older one, but it’s faster. Who give’s a rat’s ass!?
Well now....guess he'll have to edit that if they launch the iP4S eh? Actually....that's pretty much all the upgrade from the 3GS to the 4 was.
You can’t walk into a physical store and have your Galaxy S II replaced or get the screen fixed on your HTC Thunderbolt. When I see physical Samsung, HTC and LG stores, then I will alter my perspective. Even better—a Google store that offers a rival to Apple care for each and every one of its devices.
yes, because there is an Apple store on every corner like Wal-mart. Where is this guy from? What world is he living in? Last time I looked at map there were only 3 Apple stores in Illinois. There are still many states that don't have any. There are only 6 of them in all Michigan and 4 of those are in the Detroit area. Michigan is kind of a big state.

The entire article is a guy saying it's ok to not have any choice. Not want options. Stay with the flock. Don't buck the system. Be like everyone else. OMG....it's 1984.