Interesting Aspect of 2.0

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
When I went to the AT&T store on 7/11, I asked the employee helping me if he knew whether or not my V1 would still be able to be used as an iPod, even though my number was ported over to the 3G. I got home that day, performed a restore to get the official 2.0 version of the software, and voila - an iPhone which couldn't get past the activation page; good only for emergency calls.

Fast forward to this evening. I restored from jailbroken 1.1.4 to 2.0. For kicks, I put my Blackberry SIM card in the V1 before the restore was completed. The V1 restarted and got to the screen where it asked to set up a new account. I took out the SIM, cancelled, and rebooted. This time iTunes synced an old back up of V1. I restored again, deleting the backup, and the same result: I have a fully functional iPhone minus the phone.

No need to unlock to avoid the activation page. If I need to do a restore, I can do so without worry now. :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Nice find, Larry. I know this will be very useful for many folks here...

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I was at 2.0 on my v1 when I upgraded and it allowed for everything to work except calling and texting. It would even sync to iTunes.