Interesting thought about battery life...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Of those of you that have great battery life, have you setup the magnometer for the compass?
and same for those that have terrible battery life.

I am just curious to see if there is a correlation or not. It would be interesting to see if the people that setup the compass are getting great battery life and those that did not aren't
Of course it doesn't really explain those on the 3G having problems, but again, it could still be interesting.

My over-all opinion of battery life is that the 3G network connection software is probably over-powered again, using too much juice to hit the 2-3 towers in the surrounding area. 3G and location services (which uses tower triangulation as well as satellite) are the biggest battery hogs on the phone in this firmware- far more than Apple reported at WWDC. I'm just curious if the 3Gs users that have setup the magnometer are also seeing signs that it's chewing the battery up too.

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
My battery life is terrible ! Just replaced my 3GS with another 3Gs and the battery life is a little better but not great! Please describe the setup the magnometer for the compass! I've used my compass on both phones along with the gps on the maps but not following the setup you are referring to

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
My guess is that your battery life has more to do with how you use your phone than anything else... this is why everyone's mileage seems to vary.

For me, the battery on the 3GS seems to me marginally better than my 3G.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What do you mean by setup the magnometer for the compass? I've used it, but I don't remember needing to set it up.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If you mean doing the figure 8 thing, then I have done that and so far have good battery life. Much better that the 3G. Only had the phone a week, but with the test I have been able to do, as I suspected,Location Services is a hog. My first test had wifi-3G-and push on. On my second test, I turned on Location and went from a little over 6 hours to about 4.5 at 26%. I am just starting my third and final test where I go back to doing what I have always done and that is to keep everything off until needed. Wouldn't be surprised to see 7+ hours. We'll see.
I do agree with spankbot though, there are so many variables it is hard to compare. Gaming and/or movies will eat a battery faster than a few calls, some surfing, txt., ect.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
What do you mean by setup the magnometer for the compass? I've used it, but I don't remember needing to set it up.
Not sure but I think he means just using it at all. The only set up i had to do was wave it in a figure 8 for calibration. I don't think the magnometer is having an impact on battery life. However, I do think that restoring your device from backup does impact the battery. Perhaps there are corrupted files or something else causing memory leaks that are only seen with a restore from backup. I would test this theory but I always restore and set up as a new device whenever a software update is released or i need to restore. Yeah, I know it deletes your SMS messages and youe email accounts and WiFi keys but I think its plausible that setting it up as new device would increase your battery life since you aren't putting the extra crap back in your phone. If you do it right, it should only take 5 minutes to set up your email and everything again....and if you want to save certain SMS messages, use the screenshot feature and transfer the images to your computer before you restore.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
i haven't set anything up on the compass and have great battery life so far.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I did set up the compass.

I also set it up as a new iPhone.

I'm enjoying improved battery life over the 3G. Don't know if one or both or neither is the reason.

Really enjoying the new toy, however.:cool:

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Of those of you that have great battery life, have you setup the magnometer for the compass?
and same for those that have terrible battery life.

I am just curious to see if there is a correlation or not. It would be interesting to see if the people that setup the compass are getting great battery life and those that did not aren't
Of course it doesn't really explain those on the 3G having problems, but again, it could still be interesting.

My over-all opinion of battery life is that the 3G network connection software is probably over-powered again, using too much juice to hit the 2-3 towers in the surrounding area. 3G and location services (which uses tower triangulation as well as satellite) are the biggest battery hogs on the phone in this firmware- far more than Apple reported at WWDC. I'm just curious if the 3Gs users that have setup the magnometer are also seeing signs that it's chewing the battery up too.

I've used my compass, but it did not require me to set it up, just worked out of the box.

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
I have indeed calibrated my compass, and used it with maps and GPS. Interesting idea, however, even if the compass were responsible for battery drain, I haven't noticed an option to toggle it anyway. (could be wrong)

Though the 3GS drains much faster than my V1, and whether performing at peak or not, I'm still completely satisfied with my battery life.

cheerio

Jun 17, 2009
My guess is that your battery life has more to do with how you use your phone than anything else... this is why everyone's mileage seems to vary.

For me, the battery on the 3GS seems to me marginally better than my 3G.

battery life has a lot to do with the individual lifestyle of the user

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think compass is tied to location services, as the app won't even launch with that off. As we all know, turning location services off indeed increases battery life.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
i always leave location services on it doesn't drain mine too bad. Im sure it does to some extent but nothing dramatic.