Intermittent speaker/audio problem

Discussion in 'iPod Touch' started by cliff1976, May 29, 2010.

1. cliff1976

cliff1976 New Member

For a couple days now, I have noticed that often the sound on the onboard speaker just stops. I mostly notice through keyboard clicks that just stop...and sometimes start up again in the middle of composing a note or email or something. I also notice it when watching a video or listening to music without my headphones in (which is not very often). In that case I can see that there is no volume slider - as if the iPod doesn't recignize that there is an internal audio output device at all!

I have tried various things to keeo this from happening: soft/hard resets, going back to factory aettings and restoring from backup, going back to factiry settings and NOT restoring from backup (but resyncing all my apps).

Even while typing this post, the keyboard clicks have stopped and started a couple times. I have the latest iPhone OS available to me: 3.1.2, I think.

The really weird part: when onboard audio output drops, inserting and then removing headphones seems to get the onboard audio output working again, at least temporarily. I have googled this topic and found lots if similar complaints, but no solutions that wirk permanently. Anyone else?

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Try that with the dock connector too. If the iPod is taking away the volume slider then that means it thinks it's connected to a dock that is connected to speakers with their own volume controls. Is it under warranty?

3. Doug Johnson

Doug Johnson New Member

I've run into this a few times. . .and here's a possible fix:

Instead of just turning your keyboard clicks off. . then on in SETTINGS. . .turn them off.. .then type some things, such as in MEMO. . .then go and turn the clicks back on in SETTINGS. For some reason. . .this brings my keyboard clicks back.

Doug J.

4. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Why are coping and posting the same thing over and over again especially when they don't apply to question.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I agree. Please refrain.