Internal Memory

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2' started by Alkali, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

My dear friends,
    I have a simple question. My iPad memory is now full such that even updating a small app is not possible from the store. The Photo application is the culprit chewing over 8gb. I have two questions:
    1. I have disabled iCloud Photo but if I where to go further by deleting all photos in the Application will that also delete all my pictures in the iCloud website?
    2. And if I where later to want to continue using iCloud will I get all pictures back after syncing from the cloud?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. If that's the device they were taken on or stored on, they will be removed from the cloud. Do you have an iPhone with a larger storage capacity that you could store them on?
    2. You would have to save them to the camera roll (on any of your iDevices) again to get them to start syncing.

Make sure you sync them to your computer before you delete them from the iPad.

3. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

As I am talking all my three devices Macbook Pro,iPad and iPhone sync with iCloud. It's only this afternoon I removed iPad from iCloud and that remains my computer and iPhone. I have all the photos there.
    My fear is any change may be reflected everywhere and that may mean after deletion on the IPad and and then connecting to iCloud and then syncing all may be removed everywhere.

4. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

For example you have three idevices syncing with the cloud and then removed one from the cloud and later delete all the photos in it and the re-connect it to the cloud,will that remove all photos in the other devices after syncing? I am afraid the cloud may be fooled into thinking you want everything that way.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's fine to remove them on the iPad as long as the photos were not taken by the camera on that device.

6. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

The origin of the photos on all three devices are since the days when iTunes photo syncing was working. Not anymore now.
    My fear is if delete on the ipad will that affect all devices on iCloud syncing?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

These photos are stored on your computer. It's safe to stop syncing them to your iPad.

#7 Europa, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  8. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

Certainly! My question is not about deletion. If i were to remove the ipad from cloud syncing and remove all photos from the ipad, can't the system consider the ipad as new device when i reconnect to the cloud and load all photos back to the ipad?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can safely toggle iCloud Photo Library OFF on your iPad. You will not lose any photos. Toggling iCloud Photo Library off is not a destructive measure; they are still saved on the internal storage for the one device that is syncing them. Even if the only place the photos are stored is on your iPad's internal memory, it will not delete them from the device. It just stops syncing them to the cloud.

10. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

That's right Europa but that will not free space on the ipad and that's what i desperately needed.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Look at your usage. You can free up however much storage space you are currently using in the Photos app on your iPad. You do not need to keep these photos on your iPad. Toggle off iCloud Photo Library on it. Delete anything that is still in the camera roll after that (as long as it is stored on your computer).

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

What about setting up a shared photostream? Add all the photos from the iPad into that stream, then delete them from the iPad's camera roll?
    Or
    Physically copy all the photos from the iPad to the computer then delete them from the iPad?