International Roaming Charges for WiFi

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 10, 2007
It's my understanding the latest iPhone software allows you to turn off Edge while roaming abroad so that data is downloaded by WiFi only to avoid outrageous roaming charges. I have tried to get AT&T to confirm this but they would make no distinction between Edge and WiFi and said data abroad is charged at .0195/kb
Are they just trying to sell me an international data package or is this true?
If so, why would Apple bother adding the ability to turn off Edge while roaming?:p

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
There are no data charges from AT&T when using Wifi. There MAY be a cost to use the Wifi depending on the provider but that would not appear on your AT&T bill.

Sep 10, 2007
AT&T - less than honest sales tactics?

There are no data charges from AT&T when using Wifi. There MAY be a cost to use the Wifi depending on the provider but that would not appear on your AT&T bill.
Thanks! Our hotels in Italy have free wifi, so I'm set. I think AT&T won't admit that wifi is free because they want me to add an international data package.

drzoom

Oct 25, 2007
Sep 10, 2007
No charge for data via WiFi confirmed by AT&T

I finally got confirmation from AT&T (copy of email below) that there is no charge for WiFi data. They were reluctant to confirm that because they would prefer to sell an international data package. To ensure that you are not charged for any data downloads overseas: Make sure you have the latest iPhone software update, go to "Settings", "General", "Network" and make sure the "Data Roaming" is OFF. This turns off Edge if you're out of your service area (USA).

I don't leave for Italy until Thanksgiving but I'm confident I've at least got the iPhone details figured out.

Exerpt from AT&T E-mail:
Thank you for taking the time to email the new AT&T regarding the
difference in charges for Edge date use and Wi-Fi usage while abroad. I

am happy to help you with your inquiry.

I apologize for any misinformation about international data usage. If
the iPhone is on a Wi-Fi network, then there will not be data charges.

However, if the edge network is used, then the charge would be .0195
per
KB that is downloaded.

Internet Cafes might charge a fee to access Wi-Fi, but you would not be

charged for any data usage while using Wi-Fi.

The data package that is on your account is for domestic data usage
only
in the United States. The package does not cover international data
usage.

Please note that if you use the Edge network while abroad, then the
charges for data can be very high. Even moderate Edge usage can be
expensive.

Feb 16, 2009
Ok i see what everyone is trying to say but im still getting confused..Can some help me with this question..Ok im getting my iPhone 3g in about a week & theres a little bit of covrage but no AT&t towers in my area but like 15 mins away theres covrage & At&t towers for the iPhone 3g would this be called roaming or long distance if i use it in my city. even know theres a twon 15 mins away. and i really don't want to be charged a arm and a leg for my bill so if i use the iPhone 3g in my city even know its registred under another citys name will i get charged a lot of money for using my phone? please help me and thanks for reading..

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Wifi is not tied to any service itself. It's basically like a wireless receiver on a laptop, and whatever connection you connect to is your access to the internet. Some service providers can charge, but will inform you up front. You already stated that your hotel is free, so no worries there.
To avoid getting any international charges at all you need to put the phone in Airplane mode first, and then turn on WiFi. Anything else leaves the phone open to send/receive data either over whatever Edge or 3G networks that it connects to.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
To answer your local question, if your rate plan is a "national" plan, then there should be no worries about roaming. at least not from a call standpoint. I am not sure about data.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have the Slider from Incase. (www.goincase.com)
That one or the Seidio case which is actually a little thinner.
Griffin makes one that comes with a Macro lense for up close photography.
Those are the only ones I personally would use.
But right now I have just the slider and if anything, I plan on buying the silver metalic one next.

Feb 16, 2009
WiFi on iPhone 3G!…
okay im thinking about getting the iPhone 3g but will it cost me money to surf the web at my house when i have free wifi and also i registred my iPhone 3g in another town were i used to live and i moved about 15mins away so will it chrge me money becasue i moved to a new to town to surf the web?>?>?>? please help me i really need to know..ASAP

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Did you read ANYTHING in this thread besides the title? The iPhone normally has a flat fee ($30 in the US) for unlimited data access. Per AT&T, it's required when getting an iPhone.
one town to another is not going to matter. One country to another will.

Feb 16, 2009
Hawk Thank you so much your ****ing awesome so know i can get an iPhone 3g and it wont matter were i use the internet besides another country thats what i needed to know you the man!

tuki

Apr 17, 2009
thanks hawk and mindyhanzik for clarifying about free WiFi abroad, am going to brazil next week and may try it out at a wireless cafe if get a chance. I think you're right that they are trying to be purposefully vague about the Wifi, at least on their website it wasn't clear.

Plastikfear

Bronze
Jan 15, 2009
Somewhere over the rainbow
just a reminder for anyone traveling internationally: If your phone ever registers on an international carrier network, even if you turn it off thereafter, and someone calls and leaves you a voicemail, whether or not the phone is on or not, you will still be charged for that person leaving you a voicemail. Go to http://wireless.att.com/international and read all the details before using your phone internationally, I highly recommend it.