International Travel Tips

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by topcat84, May 31, 2016.

1. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Hi Guys!!
    My wife and I will be in Europe soon and wanted advice on what to do to avoid any unexpected charges on our AT&T account with my iPhone 6+. I have purchased the 30 day International Plan, but wanted to know exactly what to turn off and how to do it. The river cruise we're taking has free wifi if that makes things different. Thanks in advance!! Cheers!!

2. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

What's happened to the forums here? I've noticed in the last 6 months or so there's almost no activity or replies. Even the home page has the same old article about deleting photos, etc., etc. I can't understand what's happened.

3. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Change I've noticed is that the iCafe App, as opposed to Web Browser entry, is no longer available on the Canadian App store....

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Do you think that has something to do with the decrease in site traffic mentioned by the OP?

5. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Not likely in that really the only affected members would be third who A/ use the Canadian App Store, and need to download a new or fresh App, and who don't ever use the Web page.. So its a fraction of a fraction...

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The cheapest route is to bring an unlocked phone and use a prepaid SIM card for the countries you are visiting. If you don't have access to an unlocked phone, AT&T's international plan is the next best option. Try to stick with VoIP calls (Skype, FaceTime audio/video, etc.) on WiFi when you are at the hotel as much as you can to limit international cellular calls. You didn't mention which plan you got (Passport, silver or gold). They include limited data, but the cheapest plan has very little. You have two options. You can disable cellular data and then toggle it on briefly only when you need it so it's not always automatically checking for email, etc., or you can toggle off all of the apps you don't want to use cellular data and keep it on all the time. Settings > Cellular > Use Cellular For. Either way, you'll want to keep an eye on your data usage while you're gone so you don't exceed what's included in the plan you selected. If you get close to your limit, the only things you need to disable are cellular data and cellular data roaming. You will still be able to get phone calls and texts and use data on WiFi, but you won't incur any more international data charges.

Have a fun trip!
    http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/whats-been-happening-with-our-blog.108554/

7. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks Europa!! Much appreciated!! Cheers!!