Internet and receiving calls?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rcossy1023

Jul 1, 2007
Is it true that if you are on the internet on your iPhone, calls will be routed to your voicemail? because I told my friend to call my iPhone when I was browsing the internet on it and he could not get through, I was standing right next to him. If this is the way it is supposed to be then thats not cool because the iPhone is basically a computer OR a phone...not a computer and a phone...

Anyone else experience this? Do you think Apple will be able to fix this problem?

chatter

Jun 30, 2007
Is it true that if you are on the internet on your iPhone, calls will be routed to your voicemail? because I told my friend to call my iPhone when I was browsing the internet on it and he could not get through, I was standing right next to him. If this is the way it is supposed to be then thats not cool because the iPhone is basically a computer OR a phone...not a computer and a phone...

Anyone else experience this? Do you think Apple will be able to fix this problem?
It's not something that Apple can fix; EDGE isn't capable of handling voice and data at the same time. However, losing calls to VM shouldn't be that common in normal usage - but it will happen.

Marc

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York

You could be on the phone at the same time as long as you are hooked up to wifi.

beaken

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Actually this would be a software issue more then a hardware one. If a call comes in and your on Edge the software and network should know this and push the call to the hand set. Once you answer the call the edge should drop off and you talk like normal then turn back on after you hang up. If you had selected not to answer the call when it popped up then Edge should stay on. If this is not happening then its definitely an issue because you should get the notice software wise that you have an incoming call regardless of if your on EDGE or WIFI. It would be dumb to not have this happen seeing as the phone stays hooked up to EDGE most of the time, so every call you got would goto voice mail and thats not right.

Dusty

Jul 1, 2007
Actually this would be a software issue more then a hardware one. If a call comes in and your on Edge the software and network should know this and push the call to the hand set. Once you answer the call the edge should drop off and you talk like normal then turn back on after you hang up. If you had selected not to answer the call when it popped up then Edge should stay on. If this is not happening then its definitely an issue because you should get the notice software wise that you have an incoming call regardless of if your on EDGE or WIFI. It would be dumb to not have this happen seeing as the phone stays hooked up to EDGE most of the time, so every call you got would goto voice mail and thats not right.
i agree:laugh2:

iWant iPhone

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
i know you cant do edge and talk at the same time, but earlier today i was on wifi and all of a sudden i got a buzz, went to the home screen and noticed i had a voice mail. my phone never even rang?

now the night before, i was on the phone first, put the person on speakerphone then proceeded to get on safari with wifi and it worked fine and was still talking. So i dunno what that means?

FFearr

Jul 5, 2007
I receive calls when I'm on WiFi. All the time. But when I'm on EDGE, it's a toss up. Basically I've noticed that I can't receive a call if a webpage is in the process of loading, but while in the middle, when I'm browsing but nothing is loading at the moment, I can receive a call. Furthermore, if a WiFi signal is too week, the phone will revert to EDGE and back to WiFi if the signal strength increases again. This way you will constantly be connected to the internet. It is possible that your phone was using EDGE for that small amount of time that your call was coming in, and it got routed to voicemail.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
i know you cant do edge and talk at the same time, but earlier today i was on wifi and all of a sudden i got a buzz, went to the home screen and noticed i had a voice mail. my phone never even rang?

now the night before, i was on the phone first, put the person on speakerphone then proceeded to get on safari with wifi and it worked fine and was still talking. So i dunno what that means?
I'm not sure if this is entirely related, but I discovered that I can't surf the web if I make a call via Bluetooth. Makes me wonder if that same problem could interfere with inbound calls - meaning that if you're surfing the web, but your iPhone is synced to route a call to your Bluetooth headset, perhaps it won't process the call.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
That's because of morons making threads about the same stuff, that's already been posted 38 times. lol
Here's an idea...

Why don't you step away from your computer and do something productive. That way when you come back in a few hours, all the information will be new, and you won't have to get your skirt in a tizzy.

Not everyone has countless hours to sit in this forum like a zombie waiting for each and every thread to update. Get off everyone's case.

K THX BYE.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I receive calls when I'm on WiFi. All the time. But when I'm on EDGE, it's a toss up. Basically I've noticed that I can't receive a call if a webpage is in the process of loading, but while in the middle, when I'm browsing but nothing is loading at the moment, I can receive a call. Furthermore, if a WiFi signal is too week, the phone will revert to EDGE and back to WiFi if the signal strength increases again. This way you will constantly be connected to the internet. It is possible that your phone was using EDGE for that small amount of time that your call was coming in, and it got routed to voicemail.

now that makes sense...so explain to me wifi...can i get a wifi usb adapater for my pc...and what type of srvc do i have to have...

datafirm

Jul 3, 2007
This is correct, I experience this behavior with the Blackberry Pearl. When I am using EDGE to tether a connection (as a modem) I can receive calls and if I talk for ~20 the EDGE connection drops.

So this IS possible and Apple should have a fix in the next release (lets hope).