Internet down due to inclement weather, BUT...

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I wanted to share my odd experience today involving my Internet connection and ask if anyone could shed some light on the matter.

It was uncommonly windy in Miami, FL some hours ago. Right around then, I noticed my iPhone's Wi-Fi Internet connection was down. I figured it was weather-related, so rather than just wait around, I decided to power cycle my modem (cable modem on Comcast ISP). Minutes later, I was online on my iPhone again. Some time passed. Same thing happened again--Internet via Wi-Fi on my iPhone went down. Power cycled my modem and I was back online on the iPhone. Later, same thing all over again. I don't recall why but I tried my iMac (which is also on Wi-Fi), and, inexplicably, the Internet was fully functional. I double-checked my iphone--no Internet. Power-cycled the modem and the iPhone went online again.

Throughout the day, it happened a couple more times.

The only difference between my iMac's Internet connection and my iPhone's is that my iMac is on the 5 GHz band and the iPhone is, of course, on the 2.4 GHz band. But I never did anything to the router, only the modem!

How could my Internet go down only on the 2.4 GHz band, but not on the 5 GHz band? And why did power-cycling the modem resolve the issue?

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I also have Comcast and when the weather gets bad similar thing will happen. My computer which is not on wifi will work but my phone won't. Sometimes a power cycle will allow my phone back on.
I should say that when I power cycle my modem I also do my router.
Has always struck me as odd That the Internet would work but required a power cycle to get my phone back in wifi. It is a nice trick though that allows me to tell that the Internet is still up and that I just need to power cycle.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Sorry for the second post, but apparently there's no way to add a pic to an existing post via edit using the iPhone Café app.

Here's what I see on my Wi-Fi Networks screen during downtime. The spinning thing on my home network name (the one that's concealed), but full signal strength!

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Attachments

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I also have Comcast and when the weather gets bad similar thing will happen. My computer which is not on wifi will work but my phone won't. Sometimes a power cycle will allow my phone back on.
I should say that when I power cycle my modem I also do my router.
Has always struck me as odd That the Internet would work but required a power cycle to get my phone back in wifi. It is a nice trick though that allows me to tell that the Internet is still up and that I just need to power cycle.
All right, it's good to hear that this sort of weirdness doesn't just happen to me. So I guess just go with the flow and don't think too much about it, eh?

Thanks for writing, I appreciate it.

Rafael

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Seems you have found a solution. A pain perhaps but short lived hopefully and worth it.