intrested in buyinh a Mac air help Q ?

07fa4drSi

Bronze
Feb 11, 2008
im really intrested in buying a nice labtop since ive never had one before and ive decided to go with the mac since i love my damn iPhone so much so anyways il be buying it with my income tax return woo Hoooo ! i was on macmall.com and saw all the mac airs

they only make a 13.3 inch screen ?

whats the major difference between the 1700 one and the 3 grand one ?

i would only use my computer for basic use, using it for my phone ,picture storage , and hopefuly be able to some time in future use it to program my ecu in my car
so help would greatly be appreciated in which mac air i should get thanks

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Get the more cheaper one. All the faster one has to offer is faster load times etc. You can makes you're faster buy adding a stick of RAM or something small like that.

07fa4drSi

Bronze
Feb 11, 2008
Get the more cheaper one. All the faster one has to offer is faster load times etc. You can makes you're faster buy adding a stick of RAM or something small like that.
if I got the least expensive of them all how would I go along boosting download times I use fast cable at home but if I'm not home just like in a car or building how could I get internet? And how would I make it faster with a stick of ram. Example please thanks :)

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
I have the "basic" one and use it with Optimum Online over a Lynksis-N router(installing Time Capsule tonight and will use that N-router instead) and it seems more than fast enough. I'm not even sure if the RAM is user changeable on the Air but might consider 4gig in the future if it is.

Very happy with mine, for what it's worth.

if I got the least expensive of them all how would I go along boosting download times I use fast cable at home but if I'm not home just like in a car or building how could I get internet? And how would I make it faster with a stick of ram. Example please thanks :)
Your download speed will be the same with them both. The more expensive one would increase the speed of loading programs and running applications on the system. I suspect the less expensive one will be very suitable for your needs.

07fa4drSi

Bronze
Feb 11, 2008
thanks a lot every1 I've made up my mind :) Thanks

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
It doesn't have the slot for the aircard so if you want to use it in your car you would need to get a mac book pro and buy an aircard from a wireless company, and pay monthly service.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
or he could just get a aircard that connects to the USB 2.0 port :p

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
or he could just get a aircard that connects to the USB 2.0 port :p
Oh yeah I forgot about those! :oops: Well that would suck too because it would just take up the usb port. Or he could just use his iPhone when hes in his car ;)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Oh yeah I forgot about those! :oops: Well that would suck too because it would just take up the usb port. Or he could just use his iPhone when hes in his car ;)
I know it sucks that the Air only has 1 USB port. The only thing about my MacBook that I'm disappointed in really is that it only has 2 USB ports. but i've adapted. like you said, pretty much any mobile internet usage for me right now is on the iPhone. Now that will change when I have to start traveling for work.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I know it sucks that the Air only has 1 USB port. The only thing about my MacBook that I'm disappointed in really is that it only has 2 USB ports. but i've adapted. like you said, pretty much any mobile internet usage for me right now is on the iPhone. Now that will change when I have to start traveling for work.
Haha well you guys could get one of these

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=377085

but thats all you want when you have a new mba, a big tumor coming out the side of it :)

jaykkub

Dec 15, 2007
It was my understanding that you can't upgrade the RAM on the MBA due to the way it was designed.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I don't mind having the 2 USB ports- I'd be at a lose if there were only one. So far, the 2 have been enough to meet my needs. One is used for my aircard; the other has been free.

I wish the MB had a slot for the aircard as opposed to USB; thats the only downside I have about it.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I don't mind having the 2 USB ports- I'd be at a lose if there were only one. So far, the 2 have been enough to meet my needs. One is used for my aircard; the other has been free.

I wish the MB had a slot for the aircard as opposed to USB; thats the only downside I have about it.
That's the thing I don't understand. Just about everu other laptop has a built in port for an aircard but the MacBook doesn't. What's the point of not including it. Almost as puzzling as lack of c/p and mms on the iPhone.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
That's the thing I don't understand. Just about everu other laptop has a built in port for an aircard but the MacBook doesn't. What's the point of not including it. Almost as puzzling as lack of c/p and mms on the iPhone.
Interestingly enough, there looks like there is enough space on the MB to have included a slot. The USB aircard just looks ugly sitting there all big and bulky.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
As mentioned before, who needs more than 1 USB port?

I do miss a Firewire port for data transfer, but amazingly enough, the external drive on the MBA is faster than the internal drive on the MBP. I timed them!
Not everything is that peachy. PC emulation isn't working very well so far, but MBA can crash and restart in less than 1 minute!

Last edited by a moderator:

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
it just seems like such a shame to have to add that usb tumor to the side of such a sexy streamlined machine.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the RAM is not upgradeable because it is soldered to the logic board. 2GB isn't exactly lacking, though. Unless you're doing a LOT of multitasking, you won't see a dramatic performance increase going from 2 to 3 or 4 GB... and even if you do, i don't think the MBA is the right computer for you anyway.

i guess my point is that the RAM is not the limiting factor here.