Introducing Post Ratings

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Along with our down vote feature, today we're implementing "Post Ratings", a way to rate individual posts from users. At the bottom right of each post, you'll notice a bar with options. Hover over the bar and you can select one of a number of options.

Screen Shot 2012-03-23 at 4.35.41 PM.png

You can:
  • Dislike
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Find a post funny
  • Find a post informative
  • Note the poor spelling
At any time, you can look at a profile to see member ratings.

Screen Shot 2012-03-23 at 4.54.38 PM.png

These features are meant to be both fun and useful. If your account is filled with red, then you're doing something wrong. Bad behavior at times goes unnoticed by myself and to a lesser extent the mods at eiC. This is no longer the case. Each time you post, it's in your best interest to add value to the community. Doing so will light up your account in green and who doesn't like the color green.
Be nice. Help others. Contribute.
These are the pillars of any good community and I want this community to be great.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Please feel free to try these out on the "lowly test user". Please do not throw these around or abuse them. As with the like system, abuses could result in removal of some or all forum privileges. These are not an invitation to start disliking every post of someone you might consider your forum adversary.

If we notice a user abusing the post ratings system, you'll likely lose those privileges.

BTW, you shouldn't take these too seriously. If someone doesn't like your post, it's certainly not the end of civilization. As I'm editing this post, you'll note that I received my first negative for spelling. I'm still going to sleep ok tonight and you should too if someone zings you.;)

Last edited:

Mommy

Zealot
Gold
Feb 19, 2011
NY
Please feel free to try these out on the "lowly test user". Please do not throw these around or abuse them. As with the like system, abuses could result in removal of some or all forum privileges. These are not an invitation to start disliking every post of someone you might consider your forum advisory.
Chris, for all of us who just strictly use the app, does hitting the report button do the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris, for all of us who just strictly use the app, does hitting the report button do the same thing?
Completely different. The report button is to report someone who is voilating the forum policy. Ratings are ways to easily "rate a post". If you find something funny, click on the smiley. Disagree, click on the red x. If you dislike the post, hit the thumbs down.

These features are available only on the desktop version of eiC.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I notice in the app there is no more like feature. ?
It's disabled at the moment, since there is some level of duplication. Post ratings is the "like system" on steroids. It is however an add-on, so is not currently supported in the app. In the past, I've been hesitant to embrace add-ons. As a result of some feedback I've been receiving, these new features are much needed.

So, it's disabled for now. We'll see how things work with this and the new mobile template should be compatible. That's a few months out right now.

Mommy

Zealot
Gold
Feb 19, 2011
NY
Completely different. The report button is to report someone who is voilating the forum policy. Ratings are ways to easily "rate a post". If you find something funny, click on the smiley. Disagree, click on the red x. If you dislike the post, hit the thumbs down.

These features are available only on the desktop version of eiC.
ok great, thanks Chris. Great work with the site!

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
So you can no longer like posts from the app?
It seems ironic that an everything I forum had an app that doesn't allow half of the features of the site to be used.
I personally only use the app.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
So you can no longer like posts from the app?
It seems ironic that an everything I forum had an app that doesn't allow half of the features of the site to be used.
I personally only use the app.
What are the "half of the features of the site" other then my temporarily disabling the "like" system from the free app that works with both the iPhone and iPad -- and is completely ad-free?