Invisible Shield for iPhone Video Review

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Well I watched the video and started reading how people are getting their phones scratched now.. does anynone have this? I asume it doesn't affect the touch screen but what about video and picture quality ? this guy had his off so i dunno

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
My wife and I just put Invisible Shields on our phones over the weekend. Here are my impressions:

The installation is tedious and time consuming. You must be patient. the front piece goes on fine, the back piece requires patience for the sides and the corners. You literally need to hold each corner in place for a few minutes to insure it sits correctly. The little corner tear drops that fill in the gaps go on easy enough. The fit is great. There are no air bubbles or anything like that. make sure you work in a dust free area and clean the phone meticulously before hand. the touchscreen works great, the display looks great. If it's on correctly, the only way you'd visually know it was there would be to hold it to a light at an angle. You'd then see the tiny plastic bumps as opposed to the perfectly smooth glass. Having the shield on certainly makes you more confident traveling with the phone and you worry a lot less. Be mindful of placing it on glass surfaces as the plastic does stick a little bit. Overall my opinion is this or anything similar is a must have if you want to preserve the life and asthetics of your phone. yes it's on the pricey side, but on my previous HTC Wizard I spent about the same on a Martin Fields screen cover (just the screen cover) but a year and a half later i have a flawless screen.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Perfect thank you very much for your review im going to def order it the video seemed good and ive heard a lot of what your saying so im going for it better to be safe then sorry

ccleve76

Jun 27, 2007

tuckerbball

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
I put mine on and it took a long time but it does not make me so paranoid as i was i was wiping the sceen with my shirt everytime i used it now it has no smuges or scraches. Im so happy i got it.

sickmunkeyz

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
there is no residue after taking off. when you want to peel off and put on a new one, or just to take off, just peel off slowly from one corner and your done.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Thanks for the link. $10 is something I am willing to risk especially since it goes on with water there is little risk of residue if I want to take it off. Those Invisashield things cost to much but this claims to be the same things for half the price. Sounds good to me!

- SR
The only thing that concerns me is the water application. It may NOT hurt the device, but if I do have a problem isn't it possible Apple will void the warranty since you had to use soapy water to apply the protection?

I think I'd rather use a nice thin case.

sickmunkeyz

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
the water is no were near enough to seep into the phone. its just a thin layer, and if your like me, keep a paper towel near the edge of the phone when sqeegy the water out. however you spell "sqeegy"? it will not void your warranty unless you drop it in some deep water. done this to my bb pearl, curve, and 8800 with no problems.

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I used the InvisibleShield for a day and then took it off, it has a tacky / sticky feel which makes the touchscreen hard to use. Instead, I am now using the one sold on the Apple site and its so much better.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
The only thing that concerns me is the water application. It may NOT hurt the device, but if I do have a problem isn't it possible Apple will void the warranty since you had to use soapy water to apply the protection?
I have used similar technique to apply vynal decals to my race car. There is no whre near enough water being used here to damage anything. The purpose of the water is as a temporary lubricant so you can slide the skin around and position it. Then when it evaporates the skin is stuck on. It works great on cars anyway. I suspect it will work just as great on my iPhone.

- SR

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Our AT&T store gave all iPhone buyers free InvisibleShields. I like mine a lot, except its stupid that it doesn't cover the silver lining around the front of the iPhone, which is ironically the part that scratches the most. Stupid design.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I've got an invisible shield on mine, and I think it's outstanding. I've used both this product and the bestskinever.com, and they are both the same, only bestskinever costs about 1/4 as much.

With these skins, you don't need a case. if you took one of these skins and stretched it out in your hand and tried to puncture it with a screwdriver, you could NOT do it. Not even with a nail, unless you also had a hammer. The material is just very, very impervious to damage. and even if you do manage to get some sort of a scratch on the surface of the material (and I do mean SURFACE...it's virtually impossible to fully penetrate the full thickness of the skin), it has a sort of self-healing quality to it, in that the polymer sort of "fills in" the nick or scratch, making it nearly unnoticeable in a couple of days.

Anyway, I swear by these things, since I'm comfortable tossing my iPhone into the cup holder of my golf cart with NO case on it, since the skin will not allow any damage. With the invisible shield and the bestskinever, there are tiny areas that are uncovered by the skin, including the silver bezel. but it's not worth it to me to have to put the iPhone in a case which then won't fit in my pocket, when you can STILL get scratches inside the case if you ever get any kind of grit in there. Plus, with a case, you have to take the device out every time you use the cradle, which for me is a big hassle, since in addition to syncing, I have a bedside cradle for overnight recharging. Finally, the naked iPhone is slippery...I fear I will eventually drop it. The Invisible Shield or the bestskinever skins have a small amount of tackiness to them, which makes it much more sure to grip, less likely to drop, and helps keep the iPhone from sliding around the table or car when I set it down.

And for the record, when I first started using the skin, it made the screen less responsive to finger touches/slides. I was begininng to panic, until I realized that the skin had to finish drying, which made a big difference, and then as I used the skin, it seemed to kind of get "broken in" after a short while, and then the screen responded no differently than when it was naked. I don't know if it just needed to get pressed onto the screen more or what, but you can't tell there's a skin on the screen. Plus, if I ever DO drop my precious iPhone, maybe the skin will provide enough strength across the screen to prevent breakage.

Anyway, I'm going to check out the bodyguardz, which I've never used before, since it supposedly covers all areas of the iPhone, including the bezel. I think it's a similar, but not identical polymer based skin as the first two. Don't know if it's any better or not, but I'll report back.

tungkee

Jul 5, 2007
check out this in depth reveiw of the Invisible shield I wrote up. Includes user experience and installation process.

Yes the invisible shield is a bit sticky, but there is a learning curve to it. You'll master the touch screen with the added film with no problems in a day or two, plus you have extra scratch protection. I love to throw my phone in my backpack, etc and having this protection helps a lot.

-Tungkee

Last edited by a moderator: