Invisible Shield on MacBook Air

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I ordered my Invisible Shield two days before I ordered my MBA, but it just finally made it's appearance today. Last time I used the Invisible Shield was on my iPod Video. Install went sorta ok. The MacBook Air is a much more involved install. I'm hoping I don't muck it up. The Air is a beauty and I'm hoping the shield stays invisible.

Wish me luck....

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Good Luck!
I really like the invisible shield products, but to be honest, they "stain" with use, and if a corner or edge picks up any dirt, it will soon be followed by a slight peeling. The solution for me was to grab a razor blade and remove the part that has lifted and no longer sticks to the product it's protecting.
I had my iPhone wrapped in the Shield on 3 different occations. the first 2 times I removed it was because I was having the phone replaced.
the third time was because I bought the Incase slider ( which I love).
While I had the phone in the Shield, I had 2 bad drops. Both times the phone came out virtually unscathed. Great investment.
However, if you are as clumsy as me, you might want to get something a bit tougher.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
is it really necessary with an aluminum case? seems to me that anything severe enough to mark up aluminum would slice its way through a plastic skin anyway...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
is it really necessary with an aluminum case? seems to me that anything severe enough to mark up aluminum would slice its way through a plastic skin anyway...
Tell that to my G4 Powerbook. More than few nicks along the way. These days, you have to send your laptop through security and those bins often "crash".

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I took the Invisible Shield out earlier today and placed a few magazines over them to flatten them out. I washed my hands as if I were going into surgery. The MacBook Air was on my desk on paper towels. I had a lamp, but it was primarily turned off.

The first piece immediately stuck to itself which had me cursing. Why did I buy this thing? I'm calling them and asking for a new sheet. I managed to unstick it and sprayed it with the included conconction with reckless abandon. With each new sheet, I would spray it AS i started to remove from the sheet. This prevented them from sticking. I also sprayed my hands, fingers and slightly sprayed the MBA. They give you two bottles of solution and I just about used them both.

My first piece was the back, figuring that if I messed it up, it's the bottom. The vents at the bottom are hard to avoid, so I'm hoping no real water got in them, but I cannot be sure. There must have been a small speck of dust on the shield that I missed until after the process. Overall, the back looks pretty good. If I were to do it again, I would be sure to align the Invisible Shield with the screws. Right now, there is no way to take this baby apart without removing the shield.

I used the "palming technique" around the corners and it worked great. You basically cup the corners with the Palm of your hand. Once I was happy with the placement, I turned on the lamp. This helped cure the shield and solidifying my handywork.

I moved to the top of the MBA and this was pretty easy. The biggest challenge was making sure the Invisible Shield wasn't cropping out from the MBA. This is probably the most important part of the job and I'm proud to say I aced it. Again, once I squeegeed out the solution, I used the palming technique.

With the exterior done, I moved to the inside. One of the sheets covers the left and right rest areas. This piece was a bit more difficult because you have to squeegee the small gap between the keyboard the rest area. Being a curved area, it's not the easiest task. Also, the shield isn't very wide around the touchpad, making it a bit difficult to align. It's not perfect, but I was happy with the job. Next was the touchpad, which comes in two parts. This was very easy. Finally, I moved onto the back and slammed a small shield over the port door. Piece of cake.

Overall, I'm happy with the results. Either they did something to improve the shield (or the solution works wonders) OR I've become much better at installing Invisible Shields. I say it's the former and I think the application solution is the key. The last time I used the IS, they recommended soapy water. Even with care, I had a few bubbles. Flash a few years and today's installation was much easier despite being a much bigger job.

Now it's just a matter of allowing it to cure. They say 24 hours or so. It looks great now and I've read reports that the curing really improves results.

After all this, I ordered a good solid sleeve to protect it. While the Invisible Shield will protect it from scratches, it won't protect it from drops.

-Chirs

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
On the positive side, 3 months plus with my MBA (and no shield) and I still don't have a scratch. I'm not rough on it, but I don't baby it either.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
On the positive side, 3 months plus with my MBA (and no shield) and I still don't have a scratch.
Please do me a favor and knock on some wood!

I was almost three years in with my PowerBook G4 and just recently scratched the hell out of the rest area. I recent started wearing a watch and my PB fell victim.:sick:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I was wondering how easily the MBA scratched. So far everything has been fine *knock on wood* but I might look into the Invisible Shield just in case. I was actually worried about my watch scratching the wrist rest area so I rarely wear it while I'm typing.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
This looks like an old thread but deserved of some new life. I've had my 11.6 macbook air since Christmas and I finally got my invisible shield today. I have these on all my devices. (ipad, iPhone, ipod, even my droid). The top and bottom weren't too hard to install but that middle part, over the handrest section, was a little tricky. I read a lot before I decided to attempt it and from what I read, supposedly the pieces were a little too big but in my case. the pieces seemed a little too small. leaving a small gap around the sides. I don't mind that too much though as I know the unit is very well protected. That midsection seemed a little too big. The strips along the sides when aligned with the top and bottom tended to buckle up a bit. It took a while of adjusting and re-wetting to finally get it into position where it laid flat. Now I have to wait through the grueling period of letting everything dry while unable to use it. I'll be sure to fill ya all in if I find any disadvantages.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I finally have my Air !

So how does Invisible Shield compare with the snap on covers like Speck or if you're like me and like the stick on type how about the iCarbons? I need to buy one today so I'll have time for it to get here before I travel so anyone who's used them, how do they compare against the invisible shield?

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Was never able to get the inside piece applied and threw it out. In hindsight, the IS material is not slick enough so using it around the keyboard would not have been comfortable.

BTW...I don't like that the film is still no edge to edge. Worse horizontal than vertical. Full protection should be expected.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Yeah I just got them and it was a waste of money. I'm returning them because they shipped them in a flimsy envelope and got here damaged. I installed the keyboard section that was ok and at least it's better than nothing.

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
I finally got a MBA and had the zagg kiosk in the mall install the invisible shield for me. I tried to put a skin on my wifes MBP a few months ago and totally destroyed the skin in the process. I knew I wasn't going to waste my money again and had the kiosk do the install. It came out to $75, but it's been worth it. I like the thought that if it peels off or gets messed up it will be replaced free, I would just have to pay for an install if I wanted them to do it again. When I got the skin installed, a guy brought his skin in with shard of glass stuck to it. He explained to the rep he threw his phone at the wall after a heated conversation and he was given a new skin on the spot!

I happy i don't have to worry about setting the air on all it's feet since it's protected on the bottom now. I didn't have the skin put on the touchpad because I don't like the feel of it on the touch parts. I've been using my iPhone 4 without a skin since I've owned it so I'm already spoiled with the smooth, uninhibited touch surface. It's a tough install and recommend you get the kiosk to install the invisible shield on your MBA if you get one.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Update on my iCarbon saga. I let them know about it and they immediately sent me a full replacement. I didn't even have to send them the old ones. I installed them all and went to the Apple store to get some help with time machine. At least 6 or 7 people asked me about my Air with the carbon fiber cover. It feels great and protects the aluminum so I'm happy now.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Tell that to my G4 Powerbook. More than few nicks along the way. These days, you have to send your laptop through security and those bins often "crash".
I've been traveling a lot this last year and most of the airports now have foam in some of the bins to protect the laptops. Apparently there have been more than a few complaints.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've been traveling a lot this last year and most of the airports now have foam in some of the bins to protect the laptops. Apparently there have been more than a few complaints.
I haven't seen that, but that's a good move. I have TSA friendly case, so don't take my laptop out anymore.