Invisible Shield

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I have purchased an "invisibleSHIELD" for my iPhone and have a couple of questions:

1. Anyone have any tips or tricks on installation. I have read tons of reviews and by and large those reviews are very, very positive. The only complaints surround installation. So any advice would be appreciated.

2. Does anyone know if there is a service out there that will install these things for a person? Like a window tinting place? I know that sounds crazy--to pay someone to do it--but all the reviews say to have a totally dust free place, and let's face it, in a home, there is no such place.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Rumpelgeist

sickmunkeyz

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
just take your time, on edges if you have trouble getting them to stick, just wait for it to cure a little bit then stick em down and apply pressure...should not be too hard.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I have purchased an "invisibleSHIELD" for my iPhone and have a couple of questions:

1. Anyone have any tips or tricks on installation. I have read tons of reviews and by and large those reviews are very, very positive. The only complaints surround installation. So any advice would be appreciated.

2. Does anyone know if there is a service out there that will install these things for a person? Like a window tinting place? I know that sounds crazy--to pay someone to do it--but all the reviews say to have a totally dust free place, and let's face it, in a home, there is no such place.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Rumpelgeist
A lot of malls have places that do it. That's where I had mine done. Just a warning though, the invisible shield does not protect the silver lining around the screen which is ironically the part of the phone that scratches the most easily. I'm mad about this.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
that's why I choose bestskinsever.com it was a breeze to put on and it covers the entire cell even the chrome and way cheaper

n_kat

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Oregon Coast
just take your time, on edges if you have trouble getting them to stick, just wait for it to cure a little bit then stick em down and apply pressure...should not be too hard.
I agree with Sickmunkeyz...just take your time and go very slowly. I put mine on a couple days ago. I did the back first, although they recommend doing the front first. The liquid helps you move the shield around and be able to get in the right position. I made sure that the back piece was lined up with all the different pieces (i.e. camera, buttons on side, speakers, etc), the worried about the sides. I used their tool and my hands to work out the bubbles. Also, make sure your iPhone is clean before you start.

Besides it not overing the silver part of my iPhone, I'm pretty happy with it. The corner dot pieces weren't that great, but overall I like it.

MoJoe

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
www.joebeleznay.com
I was interested to know if the Invisible Shield will curl at the edges over time. Like, after cramming it in your pockets repeatedly over a long period of time, does dirt and dust collect and slowly pull up or mess up the edges?

I would think the back part of the shield would be more prone to this, but also wondering if the front corners might degrade at all.

Anyone have any experience with it on other devices, and if it stays down firmly for a long time?

Thanks,
Joe

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
A lot of malls have places that do it. That's where I had mine done. Just a warning though, the invisible shield does not protect the silver lining around the screen which is ironically the part of the phone that scratches the most easily. I'm mad about this.
Really? That's a joke. They say it offers total protection, but it doesn't cover the silver lining?

Are there any of these skins that actually DO cover the entire unit?

Also, what mall stores would do it? Can you give me an example of a store? Like its name or what kind of store it is?

Thank you so much!

Rumpelgeist

n_kat

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Oregon Coast
Really? That's a joke. They say it offers total protection, but it doesn't cover the silver lining?

Also, what mall stores would do it? Can you give me an example of a store? Like its name or what kind of store it is?

Thank you so much!

Rumpelgeist
I've heard that the BodyGuardz covers the silver portion, but you should confirm. http://www.bodyguardz.com/
Their product looked a bit better around the corner areas than InvisibleShield.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT

Thank you so much!

Rumpelgeist
So technically they're lying huh. I'm going to go back and complain today, because full body protection means full body protection, nothing less.

As far as which stores, we have these little kiosks that are just in the hallways at the mall that do them. Every mall in town here has them, and they do lots of products, not just the iPhone. The ones here are called "Shield Zone". Maybe look them up on yellowbook.com in your zip code?

There is one that covers the whole body and its way cheaper (bestskinsever.com). I'm too nervous to install it on my own though, I'd rather have a professional do it and the mall has that with the invisibleShield.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
So technically they're lying huh. I'm going to go back and complain today, because full body protection means full body protection, nothing less.

As far as which stores, we have these little kiosks that are just in the hallways at the mall that do them. Every mall in town here has them, and they do lots of products, not just the iPhone. The ones here are called "Shield Zone". Maybe look them up on yellowbook.com in your zip code?

There is one that covers the whole body and its way cheaper (bestskinsever.com). I'm too nervous to install it on my own though, I'd rather have a professional do it and the mall has that with the invisibleShield.
I am wondering if the BodyGuardz one covers the entire thing.

Rumpelgeist

sickmunkeyz

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
stick with best skins ever...less then 10 bucks with shipping and is mad eof same material as invisible shield. used one on my curve and 8800 and pearl and now my iPhone..great stuff.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
stick with best skins ever...less then 10 bucks with shipping and is mad eof same material as invisible shield. used one on my curve and 8800 and pearl and now my iPhone..great stuff.
That sounds like a good idea, but does it really, really cover the whole thing?

The other two SAY they do, but they do leave certain unprotected areas, like the corners, etc.

Rumpelgeist

n_kat

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Oregon Coast
I was interested to know if the Invisible Shield will curl at the edges over time. Like, after cramming it in your pockets repeatedly over a long period of time, does dirt and dust collect and slowly pull up or mess up the edges?

I would think the back part of the shield would be more prone to this, but also wondering if the front corners might degrade at all.

Anyone have any experience with it on other devices, and if it stays down firmly for a long time?

Thanks,
Joe
Joe,
I had the Invisible Shield on my LG Prada phone and a little or a month (not all that long). During that time, I never the phone in another case. I always put the phone in my pants pocket or my purse. The edges stayed put, not curling or coming off the phone. However, the corners on the Invisible Shield weren't quite as pronounced for the Prada phone as they are for the iPhone. I've also put the Invisible Shield on my iPod, which did have the corners covered, much like the iPhone, and it's done great at the bottom of my purse or bag.

MoJoe

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
www.joebeleznay.com
Joe,
I had the Invisible Shield on my LG Prada phone and a little or a month (not all that long). During that time, I never the phone in another case. I always put the phone in my pants pocket or my purse. The edges stayed put, not curling or coming off the phone. However, the corners on the Invisible Shield weren't quite as pronounced for the Prada phone as they are for the iPhone. I've also put the Invisible Shield on my iPod, which did have the corners covered, much like the iPhone, and it's done great at the bottom of my purse or bag.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Joe

sealevel

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Belleair, Florida
Put Invisible Shield on iPhone and now get a message "this accessory is not compatible with the iPhone do you want to put in airplane mode?" Anyone had experience with this?

Otherwise Invisible Shield looks and works great.

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I'm not sure what Invisible Shield is--does it plug into the phone? That message is typically given when you plug an iPhone into an accessory that was made for an iPod. Some accessories can be affected by the fact that the iPhone iPod is also serving as a phone that can receive a cell signal (accessories like an FM modulator or stereo dock). So when you plug an iPhone into an accessory that's not specific to the iPhone, iPhone asks you if you want to turn on Airplane Mode (thus disabling the cell phone side of the phone).

sealevel

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Belleair, Florida
I'm not sure what Invisible Shield is--does it plug into the phone? That message is typically given when you plug an iPhone into an accessory that was made for an iPod. Some accessories can be affected by the fact that the iPhone iPod is also serving as a phone that can receive a cell signal (accessories like an FM modulator or stereo dock). So when you plug an iPhone into an accessory that's not specific to the iPhone, iPhone asks you if you want to turn on Airplane Mode (thus disabling the cell phone side of the phone).
It's a clear plastic coating put on like tinting on car windows. Nothing plugged in that's why it seems strange!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You're Joking, right? Unless you have your Bluetooth on and accidentally paired with something, there is no way a plastic wrap is going to cause that message.

*on a side note, I have the shield too, and I am sending my phone in tomorrow because of poor battery life. I checked the invisible shield's website and if I have to send the phone in, they say to remove the shield and send it back and they will send you a new one for your phone when it returns. It's part of the warranty. Schweet!*

sealevel

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Belleair, Florida
You're Joking, right? Unless you have your Bluetooth on and accidentally paired with something, there is no way a plastic wrap is going to cause that message.

*on a side note, I have the shield too, and I am sending my phone in tomorrow because of poor battery life. I checked the invisible shield's website and if I have to send the phone in, they say to remove the shield and send it back and they will send you a new one for your phone when it returns. It's part of the warranty. Schweet!*
That's great. It's a good company. The only accessary other than that is Jawbone witch has always worked. It must be some other interference at the office. Only thing I can think of. Only coincidence that it happened at the same time the IS was applied.