iO6 - Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Sanjeev, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

I have 4S and operating system 5.1.1. Is it possible to upgrade to iO6? And would it be wise to do so?

2. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Yes, of course! It's highly recommended you do!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. MADTJ

MADTJ New Member

It's not out yet. I think it will rollout by Wednesday 19th. I do not know what time it will come out tho.

5. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

Thanks for your reply. But I am concerned with Maps... I would like to explore the Map service offered by Apple but at the same time I don't want to lose Google Maps. Can I keep both maps?

6. Munchkinsdad

Munchkinsdad New Member

iOS 6 is really nice. It's not earth shattering, but some of the changes, especially maps, is great! I've been using the new maps for a couple of months now and it's very smooth. I have heard some people say its terrible but my experience with it has been the total opposite. I would get so agitated with google maps! iOS 6 maps has worked so much better for me. Sure, it's still in beta, it can only get better.

7. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I'm having the same thoughts: since google maps and you tube were part the iOS, when you upgrade the iOS to 6, will they be removed? I'm not yet convinced they'll stay.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

8. Munchkinsdad

Munchkinsdad New Member

Yes, both are removed. But you can get the stand alone YouTube app. It's quite nice

9. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I already downloaded the YouTube app. It's good. I use maps several times a day. So I'm hoping to have a good experience like you.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

10. jpmihalk

jpmihalk Member
    Bronze

iOS6 runs quite nicely on the 4S. I would definitely recommend the upgrade!

11. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

No you cannot. Once you update google maps and YouTube are gone. I downloaded the GM version on my iPhone 4. One thing I have noticed was that the colors seemed to be enhanced specially dark black colors maybe its just me

12. 4sYido

4sYido New Member

I'll echo that, the stand alone YouTube app is better than what's on the iOS5

13. ckpatel24

ckpatel24 New Member

Yes upgrade to ios 6 GM, i have it on my 4S and it is amazing! the panorama photos is real cool! my fav feature is the navigation and the photostream!

14. Mthoroughbred

Silver

I may be off topic but I'm kind of glad that the YouTube app and google maps have been removed. Cause now google can actually update YouTube without having to do it through a firmware update. And for those that have an iPhone 4 or will get one now that they'll be free through new contract maybe google will release a stand alone google maps app with turn by turn in the App Store. Maybe.

15. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

Yes I also have same feeling that google may launch their standalone google map application in the application store.

But how and when can I upgrade to iO6? When I go to settings and look for upgrade my phone says my operating system is up to date! Which is ver 5.1.1.

16. Mthoroughbred

Silver

The update will be released this coming Wednesday September 19 over the air or using a computer.

17. bballrob

bballrob Evangelist
    Gold

I think I'll hold out for the jailbreak first. Hope it doesn't take them too long.

18. gadgetgal

gadgetgal Member
    Bronze

Totally! I always update my current device and then usually have the latest one right after. This time is different.
    I'm not eligible for a full discount upgrade until next year, so I will be using my 4S for a while yet, so heck yeah I'm updating my software!

19. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

The maps application released by Apple is functional all over the world? I mean it has maps for USA only in the starting phase or they cover whole world? Hopefully it's a full fledged application.

20. islam gamiel

islam gamiel New Member

i think it's Great iOS

21. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

I have read on the net there are many features in it but 40 of them are worth using. Can I upgrade through iTunes on my laptop?