iOS 10.1 Final Release Is Out

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
For the curious:
Camera and Photos
  • Introduces Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus that creates a depth effect that keeps your subject sharp while creating a beautifully blurred background (beta)
  • People names in the Photos app are saved in iCloud backups
  • Improved the display of wide color gamut photos in the grid views of the Photos app
  • Fixes an issue where opening the Camera app would show a blurred or flashing screen for some users
  • Fixes an issue that caused Photos to quit for some users when turning on iCloud Photo Library
Maps
  • Transit support for every major train, subway, ferry, and national bus line, as well as local bus systems for Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya
  • Sign-based transit navigation including layouts of all underground structures and walkways that connect large transit stations
  • Transit fare comparison when viewing alternative transit routes
  • New option to replay bubble and full screen effects
  • Messages effects can play with Reduce Motion enabled
  • Fixes an issue that could lead to contact names appearing incorrectly in Messages
  • Addresses an issue where Messages could open to a white screen
  • Addresses an issue that could prevent the report junk option from displaying with unknown senders
  • Fixes an issue where videos captured and sent in the Messages app could be missing audio
Apple Watch
  • Adds distance and average pace to workout summaries in the Activity app for outdoor wheelchair run pace and outdoor wheelchair walk pace
  • Fixes issues that may have prevented Music playlists from syncing to Apple Watch
  • Addresses an issue that was preventing invitations and data to appear in Activity Sharing
  • Fixes an issue that was allowing Activity Sharing to update over cellular when manually disabled
  • Resolves an issue that was causing some third-party apps to crash when inputting text
Other improvements and fixes
  • Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories
  • Improves AirPlay Mirroring performance when waking a device from sleep
  • Fixes an issue where playback would not work for iTunes purchased content when the “Show iTunes Purchases” setting is turned off
  • Fixes an issue where certain selfie apps and face filters used with the FaceTime HD Camera on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus did not display a live preview
  • Fixes an issue in Health where individual strokes are converted to separate characters when using the Chinese handwriting keyboard
  • Improves performance of sharing websites from Safari to Messages
  • Fixes an issue in Safari that caused web previews in tab view to not display correctly
  • Fixes an issue that caused certain Mail messages to be reformatted with very small text
  • Fixes an issue that caused some HTML email to be formatted incorrectly
  • Fixes an issue that in some cases caused the search field to disappear in Mail
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent Today View Widgets from updating when launched
  • Fixes an issue where Weather widget sometimes failed to load data
  • Fixes an issue on iPhone 7 where Home Button click settings would not appear in search results
  • Fixes an issue that prevented spam alert extensions from blocking calls
  • Resolves an issue that could prevent alarm sounds from going off
  • Fixes an issue where audio playback via Bluetooth would cause the Taptic engine to stop providing feedback for some users
  • Resolves an issue preventing some users from restoring from iCloud Backup

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:

https://support.apple.com/HT201222

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
"Temporarily Remove Apps to Install Software Update?"

4 apps to be exact for me. This is a first, at least for myself.
Right, I've just never seen it happen before with me, and I've always had 16GB iPhones.
I believe the feature was there since iOS 9, at least according to this.

I’ve never encountered it because I never go the OTA route.

If you’re not at all low on space and you’re getting the prompt, I believe it means “Should you run out of space, do you want apps to be removed for the installation of the update?” It’s not saying that you have run out of space or that you will run out of space, it just wants to know if it should be necessary, do you want to make use of that feature, yes or no? But don’t quote me. We’ll soon see if other people with ample amounts of space report seeing the pop-up as well.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Did the OTA update about an hour ago. Hoping to not jinx myself, but so far so good :D
I did the 10.1 update a couple hours ago OTA on my iPhone7. Took about 30 minutes and so far no issues.
Did you guys encounter the pop-up that @MoneyMaker79 encountered (second post in the thread) despite having more than enough space for the update?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Did you guys encounter the pop-up that @MoneyMaker79 encountered (second post in the thread) despite having more than enough space for the update?
By "more than enough" did you mean more than the size of the OTA update? It's not just a matter of having enough space for the download itself. It deletes apps if there isn't enough working space for the update. A GB or so (I'm not sure exactly how much, but it used to be several GB) is temporarily required for working space to install it. Big updates require more working space. Computer HD space is used temporarily (rather than phone storage space) if you update in iTunes.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
By "more than enough" did you mean more than the size of the OTA update? It's not just a matter of having enough space for the download itself. It deletes apps if there isn't enough working space for the update. A GB or so (I'm not sure exactly how much, but it used to be several GB) is temporarily required for working space to install it. Big updates require more working space. Computer HD space is used temporarily (rather than phone storage space) if you update in iTunes.
What is odd is I was fine on the beta updates. I guess the official update is bigger in the end?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I wasn’t clear enough. I should have said more than enough space for the update process (compressed update file and required working space). I’m asking because MM79 said he was shown the pop-up he mentioned despite having only four apps. So I’m wondering if the pop-up is shown to everybody who updates via OTA, whether or not some apps going to have to be deleted and re-instlaled by the OS.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I wasn’t clear enough. I should have said more than enough space for the update process (compressed update file and required working space). I’m asking because MM79 said he was shown the pop-up he mentioned despite having only four apps. So I’m wondering if the pop-up is shown to everybody who updates via OTA, whether or not some apps going to have to be deleted and re-instlaled by the OS.
Actually what I meant to try to say was that the install was only going to temporarily remove 4 of my apps and then reinstall them after the OTA update is done. I have more than 4 apps. However, because I am only on a 16GB, I don't have much storage left. Less than 2GB. I usually update via iTunes, but since I was on the beta of 10.1, I've been updating OTA as iTunes is not going to show me that a beta is available.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Actually what I meant to try to say was that the install was only going to temporarily remove 4 of my apps and then reinstall them after the OTA update is done. I have more than 4 apps. However, because I am only on a 16GB, I don't have much storage left. Less than 2GB. I usually update via iTunes, but since I was on the beta of 10.1, I've been updating OTA as iTunes is not going to show me that a beta is available.
Aww, so sorry! I totally misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying you only had four apps, and despite that, you were getting the pop-up from iOS warning about having to remove apps.