iOS 10.3 Beta 1 brings new file system, other stuff

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Rafagon, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Sounds like iOS 10.3 will be the next milestone iOS update.

iOS 10.3 Beta 1 includes a new file system, APFS (Apple File System), which has a lot of goodies in store for us, and is optimized for flash storage. It will perform an in-place file system conversion upon installation, and, as it is a completely redesigned file system, it will probably be more important than ever to perform a complete backup of your iPhone before updating to it. Also, once you update to iOS 10.3 Beta 1, there’s absolutely no going back, according to the first article I linked to.

A "Find My AirPods” feature has been implemented—follow this link for a hands-on with this feature.

Here’s a feature I’m very happy to learn about: “Developers will be able to show a dialog that will let the user rate and review the app within the app itself, without being sent to the App Store.” More on that in the linked article.

SiriKit has been improved to allow for the payment and checking of status of bills.

Safari has been updated to version 10.1.

Finally, the feature we’ve all been holding our breath for, Siri will support the “display [of] Cricket scores from Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council.” Our prayers have finally been answered.

#1 Rafagon, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I don't believe this, as Apple has often said this in the past concerning beta releases. I'm running the beta now (which fixes my phone unlocking on a call bug, BTW) and will try to roll back in the morning.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You can roll back to 10.2 as I thought, as long as you restore as a new phone before applying your backup.

source: Napoleon PhoneApart

4. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

You mean there was a Find My AirPods in a previous version?

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Nope, I screwed up. I misread the source articles and I had thought that that was the case, but that was an error.

Sorry for the misinfiormation, folks.

I’ll go rephrase that right now.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

APFS is already improving SSD read/write times. Anything that involves reading/writing significant amounts of data from/to SSD, like booting up, installing apps for the first time, and launching large apps that are not still loaded in RAM, should be faster.

7. Ag52013

Ag52013 Member
    Bronze

Like the new update. Notice the black screen on certain apps when first launching but I am sure this will soon be fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

9. vongolashu

vongolashu New Member

Anyone else who likes to stay 1 previous version than latest like me ?
    I always like and only update to -1 of available update (like 10.2 but not 10.3)

10. kenwolf

kenwolf New Member

Does anyone know which apps specifically will be effected? A list of apps that won't be available.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator