iOS 10 Overview

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Rafagon, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

A Wired article does a nice job of compiling all of iOS 10’s features in one easy-to-read article.

I’m reading that emojis are going to be three times larger. I’m not sure how much I like this feature. So we'll have normal text alongside gigantic emoji, kind of like this? Unknown-1.jpg Reader, do you think this is visually appealing? I mean, it throws the formatting of the entire paragraph out of whack. But I haven’t seen this in practice yet (I won’t be beta-testing iOS 10), so maybe it looks/will look better in practice.

Now, this, I like: “You can add effects to the text in your bubbles, making it larger if you want to shout and smaller if you’re feeling meek.” I’m hoping italicized text is a possibility as well.

Playing YouTube videos in iMessages without having to leave the Messages app sounds great, as well.

What iOS 10 features are you most excited about, reader?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I don’t quite grasp the purpose of the “Wake Alarm”. Aren’t there already unlimited alarms one can set via the Clock app?

What would make it groundbreaking is if it detected when I’m having a night terror or nightmare and roused me promptly with a loud alarm, and/or if it detected when I’m having an, ahem, “nice” dream and deferred the wake-up alarm until the dream has been consummated.

As is, the feature appears to be little more than a gimmick that gives you thick yellow-orange arc indicating which hours you are scheduled to sleep.

Wake-Alarm-iOS-10.jpg

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

A source who has spent time in Asia, with 4 weeks in China, says all the new iMessage junk is basically for the Chinese youth. He cites WeChat as an example. It's the number one messaging app in China and was mentioned at WWDC.

4. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I just finished (for now) playing with iOS 10 beta 1 on my iPhone 6S. For a first beta it's pretty snappy, and the least buggy first beta I've ever tried. I'm liking it so far.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

There doesn't appear to be a way to block a number in iMessage. The option is no longer there. If you go to Settings > Messages > blocked > add new, it only allows contacts.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Can't you just go to your call log, press the info button on the right of a missed call/accepted call and then press block caller?

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That's only calls. Text messages don't show there.
    On iOS 10 beta, when in messages, you tap details> there is no circled i to tap and go to a contact card where you can block it. It's missing. You would need to first create a contact card then Block.

#8 Ledsteplin, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So add the number as a contact and then block it.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yep. As stated above. But that seems like a bit much.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Seems like a piece of cake to me. Add one contact called "Block" and add numbers to it as needed.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It's not difficult. Just a bother. Like animations are for you. I'm hoping it gets fixed before September.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Did you install iOS 10 Beta on your daily driver?! Tsk, tsk.

Nonetheless, I don’t think you’ll be texted by that many non-contacts whom you will need to block, between now and September...

...Unless someone maliciously wrote, using a Sharpie or similar writing instrument, “For a good time, text Ledsteplin at 555-555-1212! *wink emoji* *phallic emoji* *wink emoji*” on a bathroom stall.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is nothing like animations, which slow us down constantly throughout the day. You've been conditioned to the forced lag, so it seems normal to you. To me, it feels like running in sand. It sounds like you have a major spam text problem and aren't using the most effective approach. Try this:

Blocking Spam Texts on Verizon
    • Go to http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/myverizonlp/ and login to your Verizon account (register if you haven’t yet)
    • Go to Preferences and Text Messaging, then go to Text Blocking
    • Adjust settings to block from BOTH the web and from email

14. fezr5gtt

fezr5gtt New Member

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1466897178.475569.jpg mine. Still has the block unblock contact on

15. fezr5gtt

fezr5gtt New Member

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1466899940.717876.jpg when in text messages you click on i then click on the thumb nail it displays the contact info at the bottom is block user

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That's a call, not a text message.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

There is no i. That's the point.

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

From Verizon:
    Apple iMessage won't be blocked. Messages from this service can be blocked by disabling the iMessage feature from within the Settings>Messages menu of your Apple Device.
    Verizon gives you 5 free number blocks that expire in 90 days.
    I don't have an issue with this. I was just passing the info along that the block feature in messages is missing in iOS 10 beta.

#19 Ledsteplin, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Remember that this is iOS 10 Beta "1". I'm sure that not all features have been included yet and that some have been temporarily removed.