iOS 4 Hidden Secrets (?)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Gizmodo has a list of so-called hidden secrets of the new OS. Some have been know for some time, though others have not. Notably, the ability to bring up your phone favorites by double-tapping and holding on the second 'tap' of the home button. Doesn't work for me, though.

http://gizmodo.com/5513121/the-hidden-secrets-of-iphone-os-4/

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I particularly like the contact pic in email and the SMS failed notifier.... good additions.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I have a question, has anyone noticed that the stock iPhone Wallpapers are mostly gone? There are only about four left. All the pics that I have grown to love and use over the life of having my 3G and my 3GS are mostly gone. I wonder if they will return them in another update. I was surprised that they were gone. I like the rocks and the Mona Lisa pic but those are gone. The big white flower and the pink one are gone. They have given us other wallpapers but I miss the stock ones. I hope they return them. If I can download them from somewhere that would solve my dilemma but I can't find them on line anywhere.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Yeah, me neither. What the hell.
What, the double tap for Multi tasking doesn't work? I just did it, it's working. Maybe reboot your phone. I was reading where a lot of people were having different issues and after they rebooted the issues were fixed. Try to reboot. Systems probably overloaded with all this new functionality coursing through its tiny little electronic veins.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
What, the double tap for Multi tasking doesn't work? I just did it, it's working. Maybe reboot your phone. I was reading where a lot of people were having different issues and after they rebooted the issues were fixed. Try to reboot. Systems probably overloaded with all this new functionality coursing through its tiny little electronic veins.
No, it was the double-tap and hold (for the phone favs menu) that wasn't working.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
im kinda bummed that the double-tap for iPod is gone... have they assigned it a new button combo? triple tap, hold, release, tap, hold?

JPSwartz1

Bronze
Apr 19, 2009
Colorado Baby!
the double-tap for iPod is still there, just only accessed from the lock screen if im not mistaken. brings up the ipod controls only though.

Apr 10, 2009
im kinda bummed that the double-tap for iPod is gone... have they assigned it a new button combo? triple tap, hold, release, tap, hold?
Actually it's up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A. They also put in a shortcut so that if you double tap and swipe the multitask bar to the right (opposite of more apps listing) you can get to the iPod controls. These buttons will also allow you to control other music apps, i.e. Pandora.

The regular iPod double click does still apply to the lock screen.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i saw that last night. should be alright for my purposes.

JPSwartz1

Bronze
Apr 19, 2009
Colorado Baby!
I cant seem to figure out how to make the contact pic in email work. i have the contact pics, but when they send me an email nothing shows. do i need to turn it on somewhere?

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Actually it's up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A. They also put in a shortcut so that if you double tap and swipe the multitask bar to the right (opposite of more apps listing) you can get to the iPod controls. These buttons will also allow you to control other music apps, i.e. Pandora.

The regular iPod double click does still apply to the lock screen.
They added Contra, sweet! lol

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I went by Apple and they couldn't even figure how to get to the favorites and I told them that it was supposed to be a double tap + hold and they had no idea and couldn't tell me why it wasn't working.

I like how you can customize the triple tap now.