iOS 5.0.1 battery usage incorrect?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by KabaModern, Feb 16, 2012.

1. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Does anyone else have the issue where the Usage time is incorrect on the 4S? For example, I took it off the charger this morning, and have only actually used the phone for around 15 minutes, however the stats are showing up:

Usage 1 Hour, 14 Minutes
    Standby 1 Hour, 56 Minutes

That is completely wrong. My usage should only be about 15 minutes or so. I've tried a DFU restore, set-up as new phone, and drained the battery down until it powered off.

Suggestions?

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I use the 4 and can honestly say I've not seen bogus Usage results. I would look at getting your phone replaced :)

3. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

I never seen it before, either. I'm really not sure what is going on. Apple has already replaced my battery, I think I'll take it back to the Genius bar for a phone replacement.

4. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I have seen where the usage and standby are the same, but it was because an app (or webpage) was hung running in the background. I closed everything, and then rebooted, and then a hard reset. If that doesn't work for you, then I have 2 other suggestions.
    1) under Settings, General, Reset- reset all settings.
    2) run the phone down till it's dead. Turn it on and if you are able, run it down further. Then Charge uninterrupted to 100% (and about 30 minutes after it hits that.) then test again. If you are still having the same problem, take it to Apple and explain everything you have done. They should replace it at that point.

** I will point out that I am NOT a fan of completely killing the battery, as it can do damage to it in the long run. But in this case, I can see it as a possible necessity, plus it will start you off completely fresh with the battery meter.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, but the firmware is different for the 4S. I think it's software-related. I'd say wait for 5.1 rather than replacing the hardware. It will probably be less than a month and the phone is functional for the time being.

6. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

Your settings could be checking mail and facebook and such mine was and ate up battery had to charge twice a day, I get a lot of mail on 3 servers. I have everything set to manual check and keep my cellular data turned off unless I'm using it and my usage time is dead on. Since I figured out how to control the data hoggs my battery lasts all day too.

7. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Well, Hawk this was odd. I did all those suggestions over this past weekend to no avail (battery still sucked and the usage was reporting incorrectly). Today, my battery is so much improved it's almost unbelievable, and the usage is completely accurate. I have no clue what happened but so far it seems to have fixed itself.... :confused:

8. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

The 4s is renowned for battery failure/problems. Take it to an Apple store their well aware of this issue.

iHolophyte

9. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

That is weird. I am glad it's fixed, but if it was fixed because of you doing my suggestions, then that is one heck of a delayed reaction.

10. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

I spoke too soon. It worked for a day, now it's back to it's normal (crappy) behavior. Also, my iPhone won't stay turned off. When I slide the red slider, I get the spinning wheel and then the Apple logo automatically comes right back on and it boots up. Taking to a Genius today for a replacement.

11. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Apple replaced my phone tonight. Here's to hoping this one is much better! Thanks again everyone.

12. benoithabets

benoithabets New Member

I solved this problem restoring the software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

That is the simplest way to fix it. unfortunately, it's a pain in the butt, and most importantly, it doesn't always fix the issue.

14. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Right, that did not fix the issue for me. I did a complete DFU mode restore and set it up as a new iPhone and it still had the issue. It was obviously the phone itself because my new one is working just fine.

15. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

Everything has lemons get in the bunch. Could of been a defective chip, something loose, or (sacastic) someone sneezed before they finished building it lol. Important thing is Apple stood by and replaced the faulty device.

Love Me Or Hate Me I'm A TechnoGeek, And I Will Express My Opinion! That's What Forums Are For! Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app!YaHoo!