iOS 5.1.1 Update Thread

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by chris, May 7, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Apple today released the iOS 5.1.1 update for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch.

Full changelog:
    • Improves reliability of using HDR option for photos taken using the Lock Screen shortcut
    • Addresses bugs that could prevent the new iPad from switching between 2G and 3G networks
    • Fixes bugs that affected AirPlay video playback in some circumstances
    • Improved reliability for syncing Safari bookmarks and Reading List
    • Fixes an issue where unable to purchase alert could be displayed after successful purchase

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. impaler

impaler Member
    Silver

Looking forward to installing this on all our iPads (3) and iPhones (2) tonight!

3. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

BOOYA! Nice! Love me some updates!

4. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

5. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Installing it now on my new iPad, though I've not been affected by any of the bugs mentioned.

6. R1 Kid

R1 Kid Member
    Bronze

My iPhone will not backup via iCloud. Hasn't since the end of March (3/21/12). My iPad has backed up fine every time so I'm downloading the update now on it. I'm scared to do the iPhone till I can go home and backup/update via iTunes.

Any help on getting my iPhone to backup would be welcomed.

Love updates!

7. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

This update actually fixed my usage and standby issue. I was so happy. I didn't expect anyting to fix this issue. Unfortunately, I had a problem with my phone and I had to restore it and the problem is back. Oh well, thanks for nothing. It was nice while it lasted.

Maybe the next update will fix it again.

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Are you restoring as new or from backup? If you're restoring from backup I would restore again and set the phone up as new - I know it's a hassle setting everything up again, but I always find a clean restore is best especially if I've had problems.

9. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Hey there iPhonewarrior! your so helpful. I restored the phone and then put my backup back on it. I didn't think it would cause a problem because that backup was the one that was fixed and it had the new update on it.

I guess if I want this to work I should try setting the phone up as new and then slowly put all my stuff back on it. I don't want to loose my iMessages or my SMS messages.:unsure: I have had them since 2008 when I got my first iPhone. I guess it's time for a purge. Geez! I'm just baffled because the update fixed the problem so why can't it hold that fix!?

Oh well. Maybe I should try this, there's nothing to loose, If I don't like it, I can always put my backup with all my stuff back on the phone.

Thanks again iPhonewarrior for the suggestion. I'll give it try.

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I honestly think setting your phone up as new will help. Corrupted/dirty backups can be a total nightmare, so start from fresh. If you don't like it, or it doesn't work simply restore your phone from your previous backup (y)

11. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

What he said ^^^^^

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I noticed with this new update being available that with ios5 and your device telling an update is available that we now have a stupid badge icon that is always their till you update. This bugs me a lot. Stop controlling my life Apple.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe1337185055.555903.jpg

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Same here, I didn't even check and it just popped up.

Attached Files:

14. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

yep I didn't check either. I think Apple gives you a week after release then bam you get a message, which ignored an then noticed the badge alert. There isn't away to shut off settings alerts either. (unless I missed it somewhere or you jailbreak) regardless it irks me that Apple try's to force those things upon us. I know "updates are good and prevent bugs and problems" (said in my 70's after school special voice)
    I should be able to update if and when I want. And not have an annoying badge alert.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, it all goes back to jailbreaking. Retaining jailbreakablity (and unlockability) really is the only reason not to update. The new firmware has the latest bug fixes and security updates, but the pros of jailbreaking outweigh that that for many of us. What's far worse than the badge icon, IMO, is the fact that we can no longer apply a backup that was made on a new firmware to an old firmware when we downgrade.

I can remove the badge icon with a jailbreak tweak, but I haven't found a way to apply my most recent backup, and that really irks me. We just need a 5.1.1 spoofing tweak (I used to have one for 3.1.3). If iTunes thinks we're on the latest firmware, it would allow us to apply it.

16. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Odd, got this today:

4257499b-1831-8410.jpg

That notification pushed through a few days after release.
    I turned off the badge with Springtomize.
    Must be alerting again since I'm ignoring it.....

17. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Damn you Apple for trying to control our lives!

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

As long as the jailbreak community doesn't piss off and drive away all of the hackers who give us free jailbreak tools, I'm happy. Apple will never give us everything we want and they'll continue to annoy us with little things, such as making it impossible to hide Newsstand on stock, up-to-date devices, so I don't think I'll ever be happy with a non-jailbroken iPhone.

19. BRIAN82176

BRIAN82176 New Member

if u get badge clear from cydia u can get ridge if that badge

20. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Thanks