iOS 5 and iOS 5.0.1 dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by enjoylife1788, Nov 10, 2011.

1. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

http://www.redmondpie.com/do-not-update-to-ios-5.0.1-if-you-want-untethered-ios-5-jailbreak/

As mentioned in the post above, all jailbreakers should refrain from updating to iOS 5.0.1 as it will take longer to get untethered love.

But I have another problem. I am currently on iOS 4.3.3 and enjoying untethered on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Now, it seems quite likely that Apple will release iOS 5.0.1 in not more than a couple of weeks. Hence, will stop signing iOS 5.

So, if I understand correctly, I will have to update to iOS 5 and remain unjailbroken till Dev team releases the untethered jailbreak. Or Dev team release the iOS 5 untethered before Apple release iOS 5.0.1.

So options available are: ( correct me if am wrong)

1) If Dev team can't release before Apple release 5.0.1 then
    a) update to 5 now and stay unjailbroken
    b) tether jailbreak now and later untether when available ( will this be possible because I won't be able to restore as new as Apple would have stopped signing 5.)

2) if Dev team releases before, then all merry. No issue

2. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

So all my jailbreakers friends, please suggest alternatives on what to do. :)

3. Locutus

Locutus Member
    Bronze

Can't help you there. I too am using a jailbroken iOS 4.3.3. I have no plans to upgrade to any version of iOS 5 until a stable untethered jailbreak is available. There really isn't a lot about iOS 5 I don't already have with iOS 4.3.3 and the Cydia apps I have installed. I will probably be content with my current configuration until the next iPhone is released.
    Unless there are some serious must have options for you in iOS 5, I would suggest sticking with 4.3.3 if you want to continue with being jailbroken.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

4. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Disagree.....
    IOS5 makes my iPhone4 feel new and fresh with it's many subtle tweaks...added with the new Tweaks from Cydia I'm loving my iPhone4..:):)

With regards to the OP's problem...make sure you save your SHSH files to enable you to upgrade to ios5.0 when it's not being signed anymore...

5. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

Exactly that's the problem. Starting from iOS 5 , u cannot Downgrade to earlier 5.x.x version, Inspite of saving shsh blobs.

6. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

I thought saving SHSH files only don't work for iPhone 4S....? it won't matter to me as I am on 5.0 firmware.. I will have to do some homework...;)

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I'm also still on 4.3.3 and plan on staying put until a stable untethered jb is released. With the supposed battery issues plaguing 5.0 would be hesitant to update anyway as I'm quite cozy where I am. I put my faith in the dev teams ability to untether future 5.0.x updates, especially since I plan on getting a 4S soon.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Moved to iPhone Jailbreak.

9. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

Ya I agree iOS 5 has far too many issues to update now.

So will just wait it out..

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

This is a very troubling issue. I'm on the fence as well.

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

So do I understand that saving your SHSH blobs will no longer allow you to revert to an unsigned version of iOS? Is that with iOS 5 or with the iP4S?

12. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

It's iOS 5 onwards.. It could be any device running iOS 5.

13. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Uh oh. Does that mean I can't downgrade my 3GS from 5.0 to 4.x.x?

14. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

You can downgrade to 4.x.x firmware using your saved SHSH files but may need to use older versions of iTunes

15. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks. I'm not ready to try but may want to when a jailbreak arrives for the 4S.

16. Locutus

Locutus Member
    Bronze

Well, you're welcome to disagree, but the fact of the matter is that my JB iOS 4.3.3 with the Cydia apps I use still has far more cool features than the stock iOS 5. Plus my iOS 4.3.3 JB is untethered whereas the JB iOS 5 is still tethered and comparably unstable.
    My suggestion to wait still stands.