iOS 5 and iTunes 10.5 won't sync.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericsinsideout, Oct 18, 2011.

1. ericsinsideout

Gold

I've never had so many problems with an update as iOS 5 and iTunes 10.5. Instead of syncing, it just sits there until I take my iPhone 4 off the dock. Then it gets mind-boggling, after I disconnect my phone, iTunes will either finally show the iPhone screen in iTunes or say I need to restore (which actually worked a couple time but wasn't needed). I've tried re-installing iTunes, restoring my phone a few times, rebooting and the like

Anyone else having this problem or have a solution?

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Have you tried using a different cable? If iTunes can find your device why don't you try syncing via wifi?

3. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

I was having trouble with it, got frustrated and did a manual sync, now no more problems. It works perfectly over wifi.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

4. ericsinsideout

Gold

actually, I can't get wifi sync to work, but different cable is next on my agenda

5. ericsinsideout

Gold

well, I got a different cable and nothing, I'm noticing that when iTunes is running, my computer as a whole runs slower/poorer. I'm pointing my finger at iTunes, I think it's broken...

6. Yvonne Blume

Yvonne Blume New Member

I'm having the same problem. It's driving me insane. I have re-installed iTunes 10.5 several times. I have reset the phone. I have changed cables. Wifi sync won't work as iTunes "drops" the device ID as soon as I disconnect the phone.

I'm on xp so I can't use iCloud. I've wasted all day on this. Desperate for a solution!

7. ericsinsideout

Gold

you and I both... apparently I'm restoring my iPhone 4 again for probably the 5 time in the last 20 hours. I've also tried removing iTunes and installing a fresh copy instead of just installing over the current copy, but it's exactly the same...

8. Yvonne Blume

Yvonne Blume New Member

Ok, I've finally sorted mine. Here's what I did. I reset the phone and instead of trying to sync outright with iTunes, I connected the phone without running a sync. I then right clicked on the phone under devices, and selected "restore from backup". I used the last backup I did with my old phone. It took two attempts to run the restore. After that, the phone fully synced itself on restart and is working fine now.

Still don't have wifi sync working, but I'll worry about that another day.

9. ericsinsideout

Gold

good, I'm glad you got things up and running. I'm still stuck personally. I tried resyncing on a different computer and that seems to have got the ball rolling, but I still can't sync on my main computer...

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Have you tried using different ports on your computer?

11. gotzaiPhone

gotzaiPhone Zealot
    Gold

Are you getting stuck at a "waiting to copy items" message or something similar? If so, you're not alone. Theres a big discussion on the Apple forum and there's no easy fix, it's trial and error on shutting off certain syncing aspects to see what gets you past that point.

12. ericsinsideout

Gold

I think at this point, I've tried just about everything. what's happening right now is every time I plug my phone in, it tells me to restore after I unplug it, then when I plug it back in, it lets me restore but as soon as the restore is done, it tries to do it again. I just want my phone up and running...

13. ericsinsideout

Gold

I GOT IT! It took long enough tho... if anyone is having any kind of syncing problem, do this...

uninstall all iTunes related software in this order:
    iTunes
    QuickTime
    Apple Mobile Device Support
    Apple Software Update
    Bonjour
    Apple Application Support

Then, make sure any copy of the iTunes installer. Reboot your computer, download a fresh copy of iTunes, install and sync. All should be good.

14. nevohni

nevohni New Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    I signed up just to say thanks, because I've been trying everything FOREVER, and nothing worked until I came across your post, which worked like a charm. Thanks again.

15. ericsinsideout

Gold

you're welcome, I'm happy to help (when I can find the solution)