iOS 5 Custom ringtones

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rgedge

Oct 10, 2010
Burlington, Ontario
Hello all. Enjoying most of iOS 5 features on my iPhone 4. However I have a number of ringtones I created that show as available in the "sounds" library and allow me to assign them...but when i receive a call or text only the factory default ones play?

Anyone had this or found a fix?

GE

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I've found the exact same thing! I have several custom ringtones selected for individual contacts. They're in .m4r format, they play from the selection menu when assigning them, they're under 30 seconds in duration, so everything should be good. But the default ringtone always plays instead of these custom ringtones.

iPhone 4s 64GB
Sprint
OS 5.0 (9A334)

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I have some custom ringtones and have no problem with them playing on assigned contacts. Hmmmmm.... Maybe try a hard restart of the device and see if that clears it up. ?
Pess and hold both home and sleep button together, ignore the slide to power off...wait for the Apple logo and let them both go. This won't delete / remove anything, just a hard reboot of the phone.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
My son called me today and the custom ringtone for him actually worked! I didn't do anything. I'll have to get the wife to call me and see if hers works. Her ringtone is "Crazy Train" by Ozzy. It's just fitting since whenever she calls it's because she needs me to fix something crazy she's done.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
update: both my son's and daughter's custom ringtones work properly. My wife's ringtone, however, continues to default to the basic phone ringer. I'm thinking that it must be something with the encoding. All 3 are in the proper .m4r format and were created with the exact same process.

Bolygon57

Bronze
Oct 18, 2011
I have 11 ringtones that I purchased from iTunes...only 2 are being recognized and downloaded. I did as rgedge suggested, but still no luck...