iOS 5 Custom ringtones

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Rgedge, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Rgedge

Rgedge New Member

Hello all. Enjoying most of iOS 5 features on my iPhone 4. However I have a number of ringtones I created that show as available in the "sounds" library and allow me to assign them...but when i receive a call or text only the factory default ones play?

Anyone had this or found a fix?

GE

2. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I've found the exact same thing! I have several custom ringtones selected for individual contacts. They're in .m4r format, they play from the selection menu when assigning them, they're under 30 seconds in duration, so everything should be good. But the default ringtone always plays instead of these custom ringtones.

iPhone 4s 64GB
    Sprint
    OS 5.0 (9A334)

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I have some custom ringtones and have no problem with them playing on assigned contacts. Hmmmmm.... Maybe try a hard restart of the device and see if that clears it up. ?
    Pess and hold both home and sleep button together, ignore the slide to power off...wait for the Apple logo and let them both go. This won't delete / remove anything, just a hard reboot of the phone.

4. Rgedge

Rgedge New Member

I went into iTunes and deselected sync ringtones, synced, then reselected sync ringtones, synced again...all works fine!

Geoff

5. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

My son called me today and the custom ringtone for him actually worked! I didn't do anything. I'll have to get the wife to call me and see if hers works. Her ringtone is "Crazy Train" by Ozzy. It's just fitting since whenever she calls it's because she needs me to fix something crazy she's done.

6. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

update: both my son's and daughter's custom ringtones work properly. My wife's ringtone, however, continues to default to the basic phone ringer. I'm thinking that it must be something with the encoding. All 3 are in the proper .m4r format and were created with the exact same process.

7. Bolygon57

Bolygon57 Member
    Bronze

I have 11 ringtones that I purchased from iTunes...only 2 are being recognized and downloaded. I did as rgedge suggested, but still no luck...