iOS 5 Discussion Thread

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I am setting ipad up now ..went to bed 2am got up 6am . Still have no clue about the Apple TV . But I figure that out later. It's pretty neat who they start you up with the new stuff.
I take soms screen pics
Have you a dev account? The software and installation guide for Apple TV ios5 are on the dev site. The instructions are copyright so I wont post them here but you need to connect your Apple tv to iTunes with a USB to micro USB cable to complete the beta upgrade. After that its very much like any other iOS upgrade.

Beemer

Bronze
Jan 24, 2010
Calgary AB, Scottsdale, AZ
Since upgrading to IOS5, I have had an issue with battery life. I can kill my phone within hours and I never had this issue prior to IOS5. Apple's big challenge is to figure out how to offer these iCloud services without killing our batteries. I can't seem to locate where you can set iCloud sync intervals so it must be syncing everytime you receive something new. I have turned off all services in iCloud and my battery life is now back to normal. Be careful what you turn and make sure you need this service as it will kill your battery.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Considering iCloud.com isn't even active yet, does turning on cloud sync actually do anything right now?

Beemer

Bronze
Jan 24, 2010
Considering iCloud.com isn't even active yet, does turning on cloud sync actually do anything right now?
It must be doing something because my battery was dieing within hours. I turned everything off and now my battery life is back to normal. Maybe the problem was that it was trying to connect to something that didn't exist and the phone just kept trying. Not sure...

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Have you a dev account? The software and installation guide for Apple TV ios5 are on the dev site. The instructions are copyright so I wont post them here but you need to connect your Apple tv to iTunes with a USB to micro USB cable to complete the beta upgrade. After that its very much like any other iOS upgrade.
Oh I did not even know it had but an hdmi cable I guess I take a look later

Beemer

Bronze
Jan 24, 2010
Ok, I believe I have discovered the true cause of the battery drain. If you turn on Reminders in Location Services and you create a reminder based on the new ability of location, your phone is constantly looking to see if you are at that location yet. This is draining the battery extremely quickly. When I turned off Reminders under iCloud, it must have disabled this function. I have been turning iCloud services back on one at a time and as soon as I turn on Reminders, my battery drops faster than the gas gauge in my car!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Well, I'm happy to report that the stock and weather widgets can be removed from notification center.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
How ?
yeah I just now get to play with it and then son came bugged me to get him the beta
my Ipad needs to be restored again has a bunch of bugs
Settings -- notifications.

Scroll down and the two widgets are listed. You can toggle them on or off.

~S

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
well there was NO CABLE IN THE BOX so off to radio shack later

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I do like the new iOS5 features however the operating system is not proven yet I have been having a lot of problems with text messages and other features acting real weird so thereforee I am restoring back to 4.3.3 I can't wait for the official release of it however.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Since upgrading to IOS5, I have had an issue with battery life. I can kill my phone within hours and I never had this issue prior to IOS5. Apple's big challenge is to figure out how to offer these iCloud services without killing our batteries. I can't seem to locate where you can set iCloud sync intervals so it must be syncing everytime you receive something new. I have turned off all services in iCloud and my battery life is now back to normal. Be careful what you turn and make sure you need this service as it will kill your battery.
I believe the notification to Apple when you first set it up are a battery drain

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I'm dying to try out. Interesting reading guys.