iOS 5 on a jailbroken 3GS

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
Hey Guys and Gals.

I was wondering if anyone who still has a 3Gs has updated it to iOS 5 and whether it's stable enough?

Are any of you who have done it jailbroken? I'm waiting for an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.
Also if anyone knows, if I'm already jailbroken on my 3Gs but using custom firmware and sn0wbreeze, will the process of activation still work?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Hey Guys and Gals.

I was wondering if anyone who still has a 3Gs has updated it to iOS 5 and whether it's stable enough?

Are any of you who have done it jailbroken? I'm waiting for an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.
Also if anyone knows, if I'm already jailbroken on my 3Gs but using custom firmware and sn0wbreeze, will the process of activation still work?
Very stable on my 3GS. Mine is the early boot rom device so it is jail broken with Redsn0w untethered.
Don't know about activation.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The latest Redsn0w will automatically hacktivate the phone if it hasn't already been activated by iTunes.

For more information on hacktivation (SAM) it's explained here.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
Very stable on my 3GS. Mine is the early boot rom device so it is jail broken with Redsn0w untethered.
Don't know about activation.
Was it easy to do Lon? Did you encounter any errors or anything? The reason I can't jailbreak it yet is due to the fact that I have the iPad baseband on mine, and it's new bootrom now so untethered is out of the equation for me until they release one.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
The latest Redsn0w will automatically hacktivate the phone if it hasn't already been activated by iTunes.

For more information on hacktivation (SAM) it's explained here.
Right cheers John. So i am assuming that my already activated 3gs will still activate. But like a explained to Lon, still have to wait for an untether ;) stupid new bootrom phone!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Was it easy to do Lon? Did you encounter any errors or anything? The reason I can't jailbreak it yet is due to the fact that I have the iPad baseband on mine, and it's new bootrom now so untethered is out of the equation for me until they release one.
Every jailbreak is easy.

Check this guide out, it's a little long-winded but if you want a jailbroken iPhone 3GS then I'm sure you'll be able to do it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
It was the smoothest Redsn0w jailbreak I have done.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Right cheers John. So i am assuming that my already activated 3gs will still activate. But like a explained to Lon, still have to wait for an untether ;) stupid new bootrom phone!
Considering you've updated your baseband there isn't much you can do unless you downgrade to an earlier firmware i.e 4.1. The un-tether could be days away...

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
Considering you've updated your baseband there isn't much you can do unless you downgrade to an earlier firmware i.e 4.1. The un-tether could be days away...
Yeah I could do that, but it's just too much hassle. besides I'd need a spare phone. I've got two simcards now and only one iPhone. One is my personal sim on orange and the other is on o2 and it's a work sim. They won't get me a phone until my probationary 3 months is up you see. So now you see why I need the ipad bb.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
The un-tether could be days away...
That would be great. Anxious to try 5.0 on the iPad 1. Does anyone know if the current tethered jailbreak still allows for enabling multi-finger gestures. I can't imagine the iPad without it.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Yeah I could do that, but it's just too much hassle. besides I'd need a spare phone. I've got two simcards now and only one iPhone. One is my personal sim on orange and the other is on o2 and it's a work sim. They won't get me a phone until my probationary 3 months is up you see. So now you see why I need the ipad bb.
Or... update your contract to an iPhone 4/4S and it comes factory unlocked on o2 :p

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
Or... update your contract to an iPhone 4/4S and it comes factory unlocked on o2 :p
I can't have a say John with it being a contract through work. They will get me one when my probationary period is up, doubt they will get me an iPhone though! Tight gits.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I can't have a say John with it being a contract through work. They will get me one when my probationary period is up, doubt they will get me an iPhone though! Tight gits.
You'll probably end up with a BB :(

I'm getting the new BB Bold through work soon. And a Windows laptop. It upsets me thinking about it.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Great news! That's what I initially used but have since used Xcode on other's iPads.
Xcode was an easy method, but jailbreaking for it was/is probably easier. Downloading Xcode or downloading Redsn0w? It's quicker to jailbreak.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
So considering I've already got ipad bb, How would I go on if I wanted to use Sn0wbreeze to just try this tethered iOS 5 Jailbreak? I don't HAVE to use redsn0w do I?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
So considering I've already got ipad bb, How would I go on if I wanted to use Sn0wbreeze to just try this tethered iOS 5 Jailbreak? I don't HAVE to use redsn0w do I?
You don't have to use Sn0wbreeze, but I would personally recommend it considering Redsn0w is bug-free. Sn0wbreeze has been known for bugs.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
You don't have to use Sn0wbreeze, but I would personally recommend it considering Redsn0w is bug-free. Sn0wbreeze has been known for bugs.
Ok, might give it a try sometime this week. Might have to see if i can find my old sony ericsson k800i.

Sorry to hear your getting a bb through work. I've been told I might be getting an Android phone. Now if it's a sony Ericsson Xperia Ray, then I'll be more than happy. I have to admit I do quite like those. Kev's just got one and it's flawless. I can't fault it.