iOS 5 SemiTether - Jailbreak Released

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by iphonewarrior, Oct 23, 2011.

1. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

For those who are running the tethered iOS 5 jailbreak you can now SemiTether your device.

Launch Cydia and tap on Manage - Sources - Edit - + then add this repo: http://thebigboss.org/semitether

Refresh Cydia and tap on search and type: SemiTether

Install the package and reboot the phone. You will need to reboot using Redsn0w. Once you've rebooted your phone you will have access to all of your jailbroken apps etc. If your phone was to lose power or you had to turn off the device for any reason your phone will still boot.

When the device reboots you will be able to send and receive SMS, make phone calls. Native mobile Safari and Mail don't work. But you can use an alternative email and browser app from the App store. You will need to use Redsn0w to boot the device back into a jailbroken state.

I think this will tempt a lot of people to jailbreak now. If anyone finds any other problems post below.

SemiTether is supported by the:

• iPhone 4
    • iPhone 3GS
    • iPod Touch 4th Gen
    • iPod Touch 3rd Gen
    • iPad 1

2. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

That is awesome. I'm most probably going to do that on the iPad. It never really runs out of battery anyway!

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've installed SemiTether on my iPad already, I didn't even need to reboot. I've tested it and it works great! A clever tweak, IMHO.

4. David James

David James New Member

A problem i have occurred, on the ipad everything works fine (iPad 1st Gen) but on the iPhone (3GS) the search facility in the phone dosent work. When i uninstall semitether the search works again, apart from that everything else works fine. Thanks DJ

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thanks, great find. Hit BigBoss up with a tweet or email, they will probably appreciate the feedback. It's a shame the native Mail.app doesn't work, I need it due to multiple email accounts. Hopefully the full un-tethered jailbreak will be released soon.

6. ompranav

ompranav New Member

Hey guys i found out that there is something like semitethered jailbreak which is available from cydia which allows to reboot the device which is jailbroken tethered using redsn0w you don't need a computer to reboot your device will reboot instead of getting stuck on Apple logo but you cannot use safari, mail, and cydia until you just boot tethered using redsn0w to make it normal again.
    The best thing is you are not without a phone if you reboot your device.

The link has more information

http://www.redsn0w.us/2011/10/semitethered-for-ios-5-has-just-been.html
    Has any one tried this i have not.
    I am on ios5 jailbroken using snowbreeze
    My question : is it possible for me to use this semitethered or it is just for devices jailbroken using redsn0w?
    Thanks..

@0mpranav

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Threads merged.

The iOS 5 jailbreak is currently tethered fall all devices apart from old bootrom 3GS. SemiTether works on all devices which are currently on a tethered iOS 5 jailbreak. Post #1 in this thread has more information.

8. ompranav

ompranav New Member

thanks a lot iPhonewarrior will try it today.

@0mpranav

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

The discussion of cracked applications and the means of porting/syncing said applications is against forum policy. I've edited your post.

10. bassreflex

bassreflex Member
    Bronze

Do you know if semi-tether works for 5.0.1?

Also on a side note: do mywi, sbsettings, and infinidock work in ios 5.0 or 5.0.1?

11. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, to all your questions, except mywi, as i don't use it. I'm running semitether on 5.0.1. If you use redsn0w to jailbreak, you need to point redsn0w to the 5.0 ipsw for 5.0.1 to work.

12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Redsn0w should look at the 5.0 .ipsw file anyway.

13. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Not for me. I had to point it.

14. bassreflex

bassreflex Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the replies, might give 5.0.1 a go. Is there a reason I can't get to this jailbreak section from the everythingicafe app? Have to use safari to navigate to it.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The EiC app doesn't access the jailbreak stuff. You have to use other means to get there (computer, mobile Safari, etc.).