iOS 5 update from JB iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Nickgadoury, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Nickgadoury

Nickgadoury New Member

I have a jailbroken 4 on iOS 4.3.3 and was wondering if anyone with that had done the update to iOS 5. I really want to since I know an unteathered JB is soon to follow but I've never done updated a jailbroken phone before.

2. Chex

Chex Member

You'll be fine...Transfer purchases,sync and backup device,update to iOS 5 as new ...sync again.

Try to backup your device before updating iTunes

I like to triple backup my contacts as that's the one thing I don't want to fix manually ...google sync and an app called contacts tool is what I use. This apps let's me email the contacts in text and LDIF to myself and if needed can be transferred to dropbox, to get it back on the phone.

It's a bit redundant more useful for my 3 phones to keep the contacts from getting mixed up with each other.

Sent from my iPhone 10S-teve
    "Here's to the Crazy Ones"

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved.

4. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Don't forget to update your iTunes as well:)

5. Nickgadoury

Nickgadoury New Member

Well I did the update about a day and a half ago. So far it's great, I really like iMessage since I'm a former blackberry messenger fan. However I do already miss my jailbroken phone. So I'm really giving thought to doing the tethered JB cause I don't think I can wait! I know what the tethered only JB implies but I was wondering if you do reboot without running the jailbreak tool what happens? Nowhere really says anything more than just you will need to plug up each time you reboot or you lose the JB. Does that mean that it will reboot and just go back to no JB? Or will it make my phone useless if I accidentally let the battery die?

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

If your phone battery dies or you have to reboot for any reason, such as downloading certain Cydia applications or tweaks, you will have to run the boot tethered through your computer. If not, your phone will basically become useless until you do so. You do not lose your JB, but your phone will become useless until you run the "Boot Tethered".