iOS 6.0.1 Released Thread

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
So I've googled it and its not just me a lot of other people are having probs with the proximity sensor not working and having glitches after the update. Dammit!
I unfortunately would have to tell you your googling is accurate I've heard numerous reports of the proximity sensor not working right.

mrbunglez

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 20, 2008
I unfortunately would have to tell you your googling is accurate I've heard numerous reports of the proximity sensor not working right.
I hope they fix this its annoying pressing buttons with my face.

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
Yeah I could definitely see that as annoying, have you accidentally hung up on anyone yet?

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
Haha maybe it was Apple's intention to break the proximity sensor that way you won't die of brain cancer, lol. Though hopefully they fix it, strange it wasn't in this bug fix release.

P.S. to anyone with/knows someone with brain cancer, etc I don't mean offend you, I know it's a serious matter.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Haha maybe it was Apple's intention to break the proximity sensor that way you won't die of brain cancer, lol. Though hopefully they fix it, strange it wasn't in this bug fix release.

P.S. to anyone with/knows someone with brain cancer, etc I don't mean offend you, I know it's a serious matter.
My mother died of brain cancer. I was devastated.

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
My mother died of brain cancer. I was devastated.
Sorry, I was mainly referencing that cell phones manuals generally say you should hold the phone a little bit away from your head and that's what they base their "safe" radiation levels on. Of course when talking on the phone no one actually holds it away from their head so I figure anyone who still uses their cellphones as a phone are probably doomed.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Sorry, I was mainly referencing that cell phones manuals generally say you should hold the phone a little bit away from your head and that's what they base their "safe" radiation levels on. Of course when talking on the phone no one actually holds it away from their head so I figure anyone who still uses their cellphones as a phone are probably doomed.
It's not a problem. My mother did die of brain cancer, but that was back around 1970. I was only giving you grief in fun. I'm over it by a long shot.

I don't kid around much on this forum, so this might take some of the veterans here by surprise...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Huh. I've never noticed that in a manual. I'll have to see if I can find one of my old dumbphone manuals to see if that's there. Anyway, cell phones emit radio waves, not (carcinogenic) ionizing radiation. Research has failed to find a link between cell phone usage and cancer.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Huh. I've never noticed that in a manual. I'll have to see if I can find one of my old dumbphone manuals to see if that's there. Anyway, cell phones emit radio waves, not (carcinogenic) ionizing radiation. Research has failed to find a link between cell phone usage and cancer.
NURSED!

Same as lawyered but by Mindi and not Ginny.

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
It's not a problem. My mother did die of brain cancer, but that was back around 1970. I was only giving you grief in fun. I'm over it by a long shot.

I don't kid around much on this forum, so this might take some of the veterans here by surprise...
Alrighty then I understand, I know I deserved it:) .

And Europa I've personally never looked in a manual either but I read some reports on it awhile ago that said it's in a lot of manuals, probably under the legalese warnings and stuff nobody looks at.

And yeah I figure it's basically junk science because we haven't all dropped dead yet and people had cell phone since the 90s.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just read through this and didn't find any warnings about cell phone radiation or recommendations to not hold the phone right up to the ear.

IMG_0731.jpg

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
Okay here are some relevant links from cnet about the specific absorption rate. Apparently the instructions vary by manufacturer but testing is always a little bit away from the body. Blackberry says you should use hands free whenever available, like anyone would do that?

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-radiation-levels/#top
http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20059046-85.html

The second link has instruction manuals from various phones that talk about keeping the phone away from your body.

Also sorry to derail the topic does 6.0.1 actually solve anyone's problems? I heard the exchange bug is an important fix for those people that have been unable to sync any type of meetings or anything.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Okay here are some relevant links from cnet about the specific absorption rate. Apparently the instructions vary by manufacturer but testing is always a little bit away from the body. Blackberry says you should use hands free whenever available, like anyone would do that?

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-radiation-levels/#top
http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20059046-85.html

The second link has instruction manuals from various phones that talk about keeping the phone away from your body.

Also sorry to derail the topic does 6.0.1 actually solve anyone's problems? I heard the exchange bug is an important fix for those people that have been unable to sync any type of meetings or anything.
The second link points out that they have failed to prove that radio waves are carcinogenic. I think they were taking the "We can't prove it's harmful, but until we can prove it isn't we better add this warning in just to be safe" approach.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Can you or somebody post a link of where you googled and what you found? I looked and couldn't find anything. I haven't updated yet but would rather hold off cause if that's the case that problem sounds like a doosey.