iOS 6 - enough to make me consider Android.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Dex Pt'Chang, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Dex Pt'Chang

Dex Pt'Chang Member
    Bronze

It was a reluctant update which lost my JB.
    We all learnt to love Apple back in the day as it offered an alternative to the evils of pc's.
    But Apples efforts at restricting Blutooth access to iOS devices only is just pure evil.
    I have two Blutooth products by Dolphin. A keyboard & a hands free speakerfone for the car. The KB still works as its 3.0 but the hands free device is no longer recognized. Wasn't $1600 enough for a phone? Am I obliged to buy more Apple products to get the most out of my phone. It would seem so. If your not prepared to purchase the full gamet of Apple products it would seem Apple doesn't want your businesss. As much as I love my iPhone. I think I'll go to Android next time.

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Just so I understand correctly, you update to iOS 6 and your existing paired devices are hit or miss, right?
    I can tell you from past experience that in most cases with a major updates like new versions of iOS, generally you have to delete and re-add your BT connections. The fact that your keyboard still works is actually unusual.
    Delete the BT profile for your speakerphone device and re-pair it with your phone and it should work fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Dex Pt'Chang

Dex Pt'Chang Member
    Bronze

It's the first thing I tried. Even tried resetting network settings. It no longer appears under Blutooth devices. I agree it's buggy. Am I wrong In assuming Apple is trying to restrict BT access to i devices only? My old Moto handsfree stopped working with the first update. It even says ( though I forget where) "searching for other iPhones & iPods"
    Apple should well know how to build a reliable BT device. I think the buggyness results from this effort.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Yes. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's even possible to connect iDevices via bluetooth. Tons of people use third-party bluetooth devices with iOS 6 devices every day.

Furthermore, Apple doesn't even have any products competing with BT handsfree devices, and in fact sells third-party BT devices in their retail stores and in their online store.

You may very well be experiencing a legitimate bug, but in no way is it Apple blocking access to third-party bluetooth devices.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I find myself tempted to switch to Android from time to time, but then I realize how much of my home is part of the Apple ecosystem (ATV2, iMac, iPad) and how eliminating the iPhone would affect the convenience factor. I did get a Nexus 7 for my Android fix and for now that's good enough lol.

6. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I've had the same problem with bt and iOS 6. The iPhone couldn't detect some of my bt devices until I put the device--in this case a Bluetooth receiver for my music--into discover/pairing mode. Only then would the device be detected.

7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Yeah, when I said delete and re-add your BT connections, I was talking about re-pairing your device. I had to do that with my 3 BR headsets.
    If its not working, then it IS possible (though not likely) that they didn't include the BT API for that device, but I think it should just be a re-pairing issue. None of my BT stuff has ever been prevented from pairing with my phone, but moving to a new iOS can/will cause problems because it needs to re-add the devices' hardware address back to the "list".

8. Dex Pt'Chang

Dex Pt'Chang Member
    Bronze

That's the thing Liberated. Apples interconnectivity , convenience or necessity? When you think about it, what's a few bugs when it comes to third party hardware? It makes them appear shoddy, encouraging another Apple purchase. Are such base market motivations beneath our noble fruit vendor? Maybe for Steve.

9. Dex Pt'Chang

Dex Pt'Chang Member
    Bronze

Say whaaaaat?

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Never mind, I just tried it and you can.

Anyway, my main point still stands: Apple doesn't gain anything by restricting access to third-party hands free systems since they don't have a competing product of their own. And even when they did (2007-2008), they still allowed third party devices to be used.

11. Drake Josh

Drake Josh New Member

I will agree with you. Because Apple doesn't allow us many thing to do which we can do on Android. iOS 6 on iPhone 5 just makes it more costly to buy. To have the most out off your phone we must have around $2250 . Android will sooner or later come up and scare Apple with a tougher competition.

12. Dex Pt'Chang

Dex Pt'Chang Member
    Bronze

Do u mean for the laptop, iPod.. etc?

13. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I don't understand the numbers in this thread at all. $1600? $2250? My iPhone 5 cost $299.

Anywho, I haven't had any problems with any of my BT devices on my 5 or iOS 6. Just had to pair them as new with the new phone once I got it. Everyone works like a charm. It would be bad businesss for Apple to restrict access to BT devices, so I doubt this is the case. Outside of keyboards and mice, what other types of BT devices does Apple manufacture? Confused.

To the OP, I would report the bug to Apple.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Killing babies is pure evil. Just a little perspective. ;)

15. Dex Pt'Chang

Dex Pt'Chang Member
    Bronze

Well I should have clarified..$1600 is a two year plan. U don't know what I actually paid now that I think of it. Do you reckon I should report it?

16. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Bluetooth is a tricky beast. There's nothing about iOS 6 that is supposed to break Bluetooth. In fact, iOS 6 includes support for AVRCP 1.4. So it's getting even more interoperable, in that sense. But it is not a robust standard. I have not had problems pairing any of my iOS 6 devices to keyboards, headsets, etc., so I guess I'm just lucky. But everything else I have that uses Bluetooth is so finicky that I have to mess around with it for 10 minutes to get it to pair.