iOS 6 on iPhone 4S (no custom phone labels?)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by KabaModern, Sep 27, 2012.

1. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Since upgrading to iOS 6 on my company iPhone 4S, I can no longer add custom phone labels to contacts anymore. I am forced to choose one of the predefined ones and the option to add a custom label is missing. I could have sworn I was able to do this on iOS 5. I should mention that my phone contacts are synced via Exchange. Even if I create a new contact on the iPhone, I still don't have the option.

On my personal iPhone 5 running iOS 6, I can add custom phone labels without issue.

Is the Exchange sync preventing this?

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Mine are there. At the bottom of the contact info it says " add custom field'. I am not on exchange. Have no idea if that has anything to do with it.

3. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

I'm figuring it definitely has something to do with the Exchange sync, but I can't find anything on why it would be preventing me from creating custom labels (if it actually is). Here's a screenshot I just took:

IMG_0019.PNG

As you can see I'm at the bottom and no "Custom" option is available...

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I found this on another forum:

5. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

So it looks like it definitely due to Exchange. Since I don't have any local contacts stored, it appears I may be out of luck with the custom labels. If I un-check my Exchange Contacts in Groups, and just use "All on My iPhone" it obviously hides all my contacts (since I have none local) but when I create a new one I can add a custom label. As soon as I show my Exchange Contacts again, I cannot do it.

Oh well, it appears like Exchange cannot handle these custom labels. Womp womp, Microsoft.

6. DJ13

DJ13 New Member

My option to add custom labels under contacts "disappeared" also. I went through everything on settings to try & resolve-no luck. Thanks to you & your suggestion I was able to get the option back! When both contacts (phone #'s and the email contacts) are checked you do not have the option to create custom labels. When I UNclicked the showing of email contacts and left only 'phone' contacts checked, the ability to create custom labels returned! Thank you very much for taking the time to help! It worked!

7. tombrito

tombrito New Member

I solved by syncing using CardDAV (I can't post links, so search on Lifehacker webiste for "Get Google and iOS Living Together in Perfect Harmony"

8. LonnyG

LonnyG New Member

For me thanks to Europa and KabaModern. there two posts lead me on a trial and error quest. Discovery--so far: as europa states the top banner--went into groups and checked and unchecked items to see result--so far ALL GMAIL GROUPS gave me back my custom labels to see--got excited and didn't try editing yet to see what happens. As KabaModern noted-checking on EXCHANGE group hides custom labels (maybe there's a way to enable this in exchange) Anomaly I found is that very recently added contacts wound up in exchange-my work email environment. Uncheck exchange-contact disappears. So there is a relationship going on here to be worked out. Gonna try more now. I'll be back

9. LonnyG

LonnyG New Member

Sokay--
    contacts--groups--checking all gmail / all icloud / on my iPhone individually and finally severally has left me with my custom labels and the ability to change and add/delete them. As soon as I check exchange -- custom labels gone and the spartan screen shot choices are all that's left. So KabaModern is right in my judgment. Thanks again to Europa for the crumb trail. As to alphabetical order of custom list-- i want that please. if anyone knows how to change this please post. AND If we discover a custom name function in exchange. please post. Hope this helps someone else.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Is there a way to delete individual custom labels that have been added to the list? I have too many I'll never use again, but see no way to delete those.

11. Louai

Louai New Member

Solution is as below

Attached Files:

12. Louai

Louai New Member

Settings -- mail -- contacts -- default account.. It should be icloud