iOS 7.0.6 available

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Ledsteplin, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Also on the front page of this very site.

#2 Napoleon PhoneApart, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Heard some folks on the Internet praising Apple for releasing a whopping six incremental updates to 7.0.

I, however, am going to refrain from praising them too much, since the USA was left out in the dark for 7.0.5.

If they were too busy worrying about China, at least they could've tossed in tiny bit of love for the USA as well, just to keep everyone on the same version number. It's not like 7.0.x can boast a severe shortage of bugs.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Maybe 7.1 will make up for their transgressions.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Who cares about 7.1? I'm all for iOS 8.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You felt left out because of 7.0.5?!

alg-laughing-jpg.jpg

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I updated the phone today. I'm just not that stoked about incremental updates. When we get to 7.1 and 7.2, that is what really matters. However, saying that I will be sure to apply any security updates because a SSL vulnerability is pretty serious.

9. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Just wondering. Does anyone know ANYone who was actually hacked using a SSL vulnerability? I understand the need to close holes in security but I've never heard of anyone getting their iPhone hacked.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I certainly don't know of any cases of iPhone hacking.

Nor have I heard stories of issues with "network provisioning for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models sold in China."

What I am familiar with, on a first-hand basis and through the stories of others, is stock apps like Safari crashing. I've been a victim of these crashes on multiple occasions.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I haven't heard of one either. But if the NSA took advantage of it, you'd never know. :)

12. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

And who would be naive enough to think they actually don't anyway?

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure if that information is available, but no one was really aware of it until now. It might be difficult to prove exactly how it happened to someone. The front door has been open for a year. No one may have waltzed in and robbed the place in that year, but it was still a major security risk. It's even more so now that it's advertised in the newspaper, all the hackers have gotten an email about it and it's written in the sky that the door is open in case they want an easy score.

It took me five minutes to update my iPad mini. The OTA update was 15 megabytes. I'd rather not worry about it. If you're jailbroken and don't want to do the full update and rejailbreak, just install the patch in Cydia.

14. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Yeah. I can understand that. Too late for me though. I did the update and re-jailbroke my phone. Tedious.
    I may just do the patch for my jailbroken iPad 2 though. Thanks for your insightful insight Europa :)

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Just installed the patch, thanks Europa, you saved me lots of time!

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I wish I had just done the patch instead as well, but it wasn't available this morning. I decided to restore to factory settings and set up the phone and all the jailbreak tweaks from scratch. It took a couple hours. I did this in hopes that it would help my Safari crashes. I had a Safari crash about an hour later.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Keep in mind that the patch doesn't work in safe mode or non-substrate mode (just in case anyone cares about that).

Also, and these are early reports and could mean nothing, people are beginning to report fewer or no stock app crashes after the actual install of 7.0.6.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You're saying you still had a safari crash? I'm wondering what's causing my settings app to crash lol.

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I hardly have any app crashes anymore, even when I was on 7.0.4. Maybe the jailbreak made things more stable. :D