iOS 7.1.1 Now Labels When An App Has In-App Purchases

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chris, Apr 22, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

An interesting change in iOS 7.1.1 When you are viewing featured lists or top lists (Top Grossing, etc.), there is a notation below the app if it has In-App Purchases. This might be a small change, but I think it's a rather important change. For one, it'll help parents who are looking to avoid these apps. When I buy an app for my daughter (and I've bought quite a few), I avoid anything free or with in-app purchases. I don't want her clicking on ads or making purchases. More importantly, I don't want her distracted. Even if she'd have to enter a password (and she's not capable of that, yet), an errant click has her lost in the App Store.

This will have an impact on those apps, I'm just not sure how much.

Thoughts?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Chris, your concern is a valid one that, unfortunately, most parents won't pick up on. You're an exceptional Dad. I think most iOS users know by now that many apps, including some paid apps, have in app purchases. I don't see that "warning" having much impact one way or another. Or is the intent to "attract" us to those apps? I get the feeling from reading about apps and the surge of in app purchases, that Apple, Google and the app developers think we users love it and that it's good for our benefit. I do understand it from a businesss perspective. But consumers hate it. They hate paying $2.99 for an app, then having to pay .99 for this and $1.99 for that as in apps. But they'll buy them anyway. And now Apple and Google are fighting over certain apps to offer exclusively, offering developers special treatment. But that's another story.