Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
711.jpg

This update contains improvements, bug fixes and security updates, including:

- Further improvements to Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Fixes a bug that could impact keyboard responsiveness
- Fixes an issue when using Bluetooth keyboards with VoiceOver enabled
Have at it, people!

Update: The 5s incarnation of 7.1.1 weighs in at 26.1 MB for the delta (OTA) update, while the full update via iTunes will run a nice and healthy 1.42 GBs through your ISP. Take that, Comcast!

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Took me about 9 minutes OTA. And why does the update turn on bluetooth? :confused:
It's done that for as long as I can remember. It's odd, because your Wi-Fi settings are retained, and if you had Wi-Fi on before the update, you'll still have it on when you come back from an update. But the same isn't true for the Bluetooth setting.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Oh Oh Oh! I know the answer! I came across an article a while back on Flipboard that explained why.

http://bgr.com/2014/03/19/ios-update-bluetooth-on-why/
Thanks! It appears Apple wants retailers to know my location. And they use iBeacon for that. And iBeacon does not work without bluetooth. So what's in it for Apple?
This:
"As to why Apple might want to get iPhone users to keep their Bluetooth turned on, Sterling says it could help Apple become dominant in the real-time location marketing space."

There it is. Now I know why bluetooth is turned on after an iOS update. :)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
... While they're in that helpful mood, they might as well turn on a feature which could potentially save your iPhone... Find My iPhone. Then again, it may be more beneficial for Apple if you lose your iPhone once in a while. :D

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Does anyone know if iOS 7.1 in general fixes the issue of phone calls not being sent to me? I have that issue. Today a car place said they called me and it continued to go to busy. I don't have do not disturb on. I will check though.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Does anyone know if iOS 7.1 in general fixes the issue of phone calls not being sent to me? I have that issue. Today a car place said they called me and it continued to go to busy. I don't have do not disturb on. I will check though.
You could try Reset Network Settings. If that doesn't work, call your carrier.