iOS 7.1 Released

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chris, Mar 10, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Apple has released iOS 7.1 to the masses. You can find it by connecting your iOS device to iTunes or by navigating to Settings > General > Software Update. We'll be updating our blog post with details regarding the update - changelog, etc.

If you have specific questions, problems, etc. regarding this update, I encourage you to create a new thread and use a specific thread title in keeping with our forum quality guidelines.

Thanks and get downloading!

2. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

I'm already doing it. :)

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Released!

...weighing in at 268MB as a delta update for a 5s, and 1.44 GB for a full update via iTunes:
    Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 1.10.18 PM.png This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

• • CarPlay
    • ◦ iOS experience designed for the car
    • ◦ Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle
    • ◦ Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps
    • ◦ Control with Siri and the car's touchscreen, knobs, and buttons
    • • Siri
    • ◦ Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you're done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking
    • ◦ New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese
    • • iTunes Radio
    • ◦ Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song
    • ◦ Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing
    • ◦ Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free
    • • Calendar
    • ◦ Option to display events in month view
    • ◦ Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries
    • • Accessibility
    • ◦ Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
    • ◦ Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
    • ◦ New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point
    • • New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s
    • • iCloud Keychain support in additional countries
    • • FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
    • • Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash
    • • Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition
    • • Improved performance for iPhone 4
    • • Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000
    • • Continued user interface refinements

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Legacy users: If you need to save the update on 3.5" floppies, you will need one thousand of them.

1010058849.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Glass half full, I did get to sharpen up my thread merging skills.

5. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

POOF It's gone! I just looked at my require passcode also and it said Immediately and I didn't update yet.

So, I guess this was changed either with the last update or some time ago.

#5 Sharunda, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  6. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I'm mid-install right now. :D

I don't see the lack of screen lock options as a big deal as long as we have Touch ID. And as a former BlackBerry user I've learned the importance of securing your phone. The setting for 7.1 is pretty much how I have mine set now with 7.0.6 anyway.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Took forever for my download, but installing now. Not sure why, but I didn't jump in on the previous beta. Hoping this is significantly more stable than iOS 7.0.4. Safari gave me a send-off crash right before upgrading.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I see your point. I just figured out how to make the timed options come back: you have to remove all of your stored fingerprints (i.e. you disable Touch ID altogether). I guess Apple feels that the swiftness of Touch ID makes the "convenience" of leaving your phone unlocked, even for one minute, obsolete. I can't say I disagree.

photo.PNG

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

About time. I wouldn't consider a Safari crash every day since September 2013 occasional.

10. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

No kidding. Can't wait until I can install the update.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I feel sorry for all of you experiencing all these Safari crashes. I don't know why I seem to be one of the few lucky ones in this regard. Clean living, I guess.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You used to have Safari crashes almost daily in every version of 7.x prior to 7.0.6, and you still have one weekly on 7.0.6, right?

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

As someone with major stability/stock app crashing problems and fade issues on the fingerprint scanner on every stock version of 7.x up to this point, I'm going to give up my jailbreak and update my 5s. I have a jailbroken iPhone 5 on 7.0.6 to fall back to if I miss the jailbreak too much. Looking forward to the fix for stock apps crashing (specifically Safari), improved Touch ID reliability, the toned down the green call bar with a more mature shade of green, manual Siri, 3D keyboard and list view in the Calendar app.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Not even that often, by my count. In any case, I could live with an average of one Safari crash per week if it meant keeping my jailbreak.

I was having more crashes before I jailbroke (which is probably a coincidence), but now they're few and far between.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

iOS 7.1 must be special... Apple has given it its own official website. I think this is a first for a non-major (x.0) version of iOS.

What do you mean by "manual Safari"?

#15 Rafagon, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
  16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oops, that was a typo. I meant manual Siri.

#16 Europa, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
  17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I like the "reduce white point". It's a little easier on my eyes.

18. Muckcityjustin

Gold

I have to say, my phone is much snappier then it's ever been with this update. I went ahead and updated because my jailbreak just was so laggy and unpredictable. Everything I do now all the way down to typing seems much more responsive. Plus not a single crash yet! (Knock on wood it's only been a few hours).

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There's one bug that hasn't been fixed yet... the saving of images with a transparent background. It's still doing exactly what it was doing before, as pointed out by @Europa ...

transparent.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Whew,
    Almost locked myself into non JB-ability.

Was working on an iPad restore last night, hard connected to Mac Mini, and had inadvertently put my 7.0.6 iPhone 5 into recovery mode w/Tinyumbrella via WiFi. Did not even know that was possible.

MrsSnowtrooper is downloading 7.1 for her device now.....

#20 snowtrooper1966, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014