iOS 7 battery use and 'Wallpaper'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Very interesting discovery ( I think ) ...... I've always had reasonably good battery performance on my iPhone 4S .... Probably a bit better on iOS 7 ....( I held off until 7.0.4 to do the update ) it didn't take long to figure that a lot of the gadgetry with iOS7 tended to chew up battery life, so I went through all the published information, and de-selected a lot ( auto app refresh, many of the location services and associated function, auto app update, and so on. These steps are fairly well documented. I do a battery drain monthly ... the 'calibration exercise' ..... yadda yadda .... and my screen brightness is mid range and auto. There is none of the frippery running ( decrease motion is ON ) and I use a photo of my own as wallpaper. SO ...... last week I change my wallpaper, more for change sake and put in an oldie from my files from a long time ago ( small file size, as I've used it as wallpaper on previous phones. I notice right off the bat my battery now drops more quickly than I was used to... not yet making the connection , so I do another re calibration , no change- then try to think of 'anything else' I've changed, and the only item was the wallpaper. I went back to my old wallpaper and guess what ? .... Battery is right back to normal values/time. Appreciating that screen brightness setting can be significant issues is one thing, but the brightness of a picture (?) .... I'll attach the 2 lock screens .... The one with the beach and trees seems to be a lot more conservative in its power draw than my Golden Gate. My phone sleeps after a minute of non-use, and after a few seconds if the unlock code is not entered, so really, the lock screen/wallpaper is not really ever displayed too long at the best of times .... No really big deal, but worth sharing ... David
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1391190864.420758.jpg
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1391190878.586589.jpg

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Problem solved - with thanks to Ledsteplin- It was suggested that the image size of the old photo of the GG bridge might have been the culprit, that if too large or too small there could be issues , battery problems included. I used "Image size" ( a free app) to correctly set the image size at 640 x 960 then re-centred and re set the wallpaper, which seems to have corrected the battery drain. When the iOS 7 update was first released, and many users were having battery life issues, a lot was published, in most tech journals and forums, listing various tips and insight into dealing with excessive drain, but this never came up. The free image resize software coupled with a bit of research -google or elsewhere-into what the recommended image sizes are for most iDevices is an easy check to do and probably useful for many other situations. The picture had been taken years ago with a Sony Mavica (don't laugh too hard -it was the big contraption which had a floppy drive ) and its image size was wayyyyyy out of whack. My beach/trees were correct, having been taken with the iPhone ... David

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Interesting also that there was really no problem with the display of the photo with the wrong file size. It looked fine and could be properly placed and centred. But having done the edit with "Image Size" there was a bit more flexibility with setting it. So its a win win ....

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I've discovered that GPS is a huge drain on battery life. Turning off auto brightness is a good battery saver too and adjusting what apps automatically refresh under Background Auto Refresh can help. I also avoid using dynamic wallpapers. Just some observations from using my phone pretty extensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Yes .... I have tried to apply most of the published battery conservation techniques.... But this was something I never considered, and still don't really understand .... But seeing as my battery performance is right back to where it was before I swapped pictures, my now having resized the wallpaper photo, I can only assume it was a factor. I'd also assume that is is more applicable when photos or designs are used which are not either native, or taken with the device concerned. The 'image size app' probably has may more uses than simple file-size edits too ... And seems really intuitive to use. What will remain beyond my humble comprehension is that the picture, with its image size so out of whack, displayed just as well before and after my correction.

Last edited:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here's a weird one for you. My battery has been poo poo for a couple months now, but I'm so busy, I never really investigated.
So this past weekend I want to add a movie to my phone (wouldn't add), as well as fix a couple songs that wouldn't play, if I look up under song title, they had a red circle with a square in it, like the one you see when you preview a song or download something from iTunes. The problem was, nothing was happening.
I looked in the iPod app under more, and it said I was sharing. I don't recall ever sharing anything, and certainly lot from my phone. And the songs I was having problems with are local to my PC and phone- I don't use cloud services.
Removed my library and movies, and then added them back.
Everything was fixed and my battery was more than double at the end of the day. Just thought I'd share this- and not my phone.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Appreciating that screen brightness setting can be significant issues is one thing, but the brightness of a picture (?) ... David
I'm glad your issue is resolved. Thank you for taking the time to share this, as I'm a Battery Charge Conservation Enthusiast myself.

I did want to address your statement that I quoted above, as it isn't the first time I've come across this idea. A "bright" picture uses the exact same amount of battery power as a "dark" picture. Therefore, if the screen is on, a picture that's entirely black except for a white dot in the middle of the screen will use the same battery power as one that is the exact opposite (negative) of that.

This may change in the future if Apple ever uses local dimming LED screens on the iPhone, like certain TV sets, a move which I don't think will happen anytime soon. Here's a bit more info on local dimming.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Thanks for the insight..... and yes, I did solve the problem, at least I think I did, by changing the 'sizing' of the picture, a hint passed on by another active forum member. I'd assume that all of the 'canned' images as well as photos taken with a given device are close to the proper size to be used as lock screen or home-screen backgrounds, but I had used one from a collection I had in my desktop files, the specific photo taken well over 10 years ago. What surprises me was that it displayed nicely when originally set as wallpaper even though far outside the required size ratio, but that's when the battery issues started. Once correctly resized , using 'Image Size' -a free app- my battery performance was right back to normal, so 'the shoe fit' ! The correct image sizing for many display applications on various iDevices can easily be found by Googling. As with so many things in this complex technical world, the user is normally only involved at a 'surface level' with a lot going on transparently, unless one is willing to probe deeply. Doing something like as iOS update is really a very complex process, yet to the normal consumer, appears to be 'plug and play' which is probably a factor in the trickle-down of issues that may ( or may not ) creep in either immediately or over an interval following any major revision. I guess we have become used to the fact that 'good technology' is very invisible, and so it should be, particularly in the world of 'interfaces' but solutions often require intervention at a deeper level. David

Last edited: