iOS 7 Bugs

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I get this every single time I plug my iPhone into my iMac. I've said yes numerous times. I don't recall when it started, but I think it wasn't always this way...

View attachment 35311
I've only seen that popup once.

Have you tried a different, official Lightning cable?

Have you tried resetting all settings?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I've only seen that popup once.

Have you tried a different, official Lightning cable?

Have you tried resetting all settings?
I only have the original one—the one that came with the iPhone...

Have not tried resetting all settings, but I will do that... thanks!

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
You're just trying to set off all of the OCD members aren't you? LMAO
Great now I can't stop looking at those stupid dots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
You don't understand. Now you can claim to be OCD! It's trending right now.
I hate when I tell people that I have OCD (I actually, truly do, I'm on two separate meds for it and even thinking about asking the doc about ECT 'cause it's fairly bad) and they tell me, "Oh, I think I have a little bit of OCD too!"

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I hate when I tell people that I have OCD (I actually, truly do, I'm on two separate meds for it and even thinking about asking the doc about ECT 'cause it's fairly bad) and they tell me, "Oh, I think I have a little bit of OCD too!"
I completely sympathize with you.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Everyone has a little bit of OCD by today's standards of the definition. The term is used very loosely. Who doesn't check their locks or alarm clock more than once before going to bed? I sympathize with people who have true OCDs as well because the way they interfere with daily life would be scary and frustrating.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Compose an SMS to one of your contacts, but do not use a contact with whom you have an existing conversation in the Messages screen. You can also address the SMS to a phone number that is not associated with any of your contacts in order to see the bug in action if you prefer not to delete an existing conversation that you may want to keep. I have used (999)555-1212 in my example.

Tap send.

You'll see "Sending...", then you'll see the contact name or phone number appear very briefly in a double-width font for no reason (this is the bug), then you'll see "Sending..." again, and finally the characters will appear in the normal font.

(When watching the demo below, you'll appreciate it best basically only be able to appreciate it if you go full-screen and allow a few seconds for the video to buffer and sharpen to full 1080p resolution. This should occur fairly quickly on any decent-speed connection.)

The bug does not appear to affect iMessages.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Compose an SMS to one of your contacts, but do not use a contact with whom you have an existing conversation in the Messages screen. You can also address the SMS to a phone number that is not associated with any of your contacts in order to see the bug in action if you prefer not to delete an existing conversation that you may want to keep. I have used (999)555-1212 in my example.

Tap send.

You'll see "Sending...", then you'll see the contact name or phone number appear very briefly in a double-width font for no reason (this is the bug), then you'll see "Sending..." again, and finally the characters will appear in the normal font.

(When watching the demo below, you'll appreciate it best basically only be able to appreciate it if you go full-screen and allow a few seconds for the video to buffer and sharpen to full 1080p resolution. This should occur fairly quickly on any decent-speed connection.)

The bug does not appear to affect iMessages.

I tried that, and nothing unusual happened. I first just entered the number you used. Then I added that number to my contacts, and tried again. Both ways proved normal and I didn't get the notification at the top either.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I tried that, and nothing unusual happened. I first just entered the number you used. Then I added that number to my contacts, and tried again. Both ways proved normal and I didn't get the notification at the top either.
So you did not experience the font used in the phone number turning double-width very briefly (for a fraction of a second only... it happens so quickly that I was unable to capture it with a screen capture, that's why I ended up posting the video).

It happens on my phone each and every time, it's not just a fluke.

I am able to freeze-frame the video at the 0m49s mark and it is there. Could it only be happening on my iPhone?

Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 1.44.29 PM.png

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
You did not experience the font used in the number turning double-width briefly (for a fraction of a second... I was unable to capture it with a screen capture, that's why I ended up posting the video)?

I am able to freeze-frame the video at the 0m49s mark and it is there. Could it only be happening on my iPhone?

View attachment 35531
I don't know if it's only your phone. But the number only appeared on mine once and the normal size. I'd like to know if anyone else has tried it and their results. Maybe that's normal, and it's my phone that's not right. :)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I don't know if it's only your phone. But the number only appeared on mine once and the normal size. I'd like to know if anyone else has tried it and their results. Maybe that's normal, and it's my phone that's not right. :)
BTW, regarding your not receiving the notification that I get, this would be a function of your carrier. I'm with AT&T. Are they your provider?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
BTW, regarding your not receiving the notification that I get, this would be a function of your carrier. I'm with AT&T. Are they your provider?
No, Verizon. I normally get the banner alert for text messages received. But maybe not those sent. Never thought about that.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I really, truly, sincerely thought this was a thing of the past.

C'mon, Apple, this is iOS 7.x. When are you finally gonna squash this bug!?

image.jpg

BTW, I'm on Push. I'm not always on Push (to save battery), but I've been on Push for, oh, I dunno, about a couple of weeks or so now--not that it should matter. This shouldn't be happening on Push, Fetch, or Manual in this day and age.

image.jpg

Have any of you guys experienced duplicated contacts since iOS 7 has been out?

Oh, and I don't sync with Exchange or any of that funky stuff. Only iOS and OS X in this household.

Addendum/afterthought:

Maybe an ill-timed fluke on time.apple.com caused a clash at the precise moment my contacts were syncing? Perhaps a leap second was inserted into the day which caused a conflict in determining which contact card was newer? This would be just about the only accept acceptable excuse.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I really, truly, sincerely thought this was a thing of the past.

C'mon, Apple, this is iOS 7.x. When are you finally gonna squash this bug!?

View attachment 35599

BTW, I'm on Push. I'm not always on Push (to save battery), but I've been on Push for, oh, I dunno, about a couple of weeks or so now--not that it should matter. This shouldn't be happening on Push, Fetch, or Manual in this day and age.

View attachment 35600

Have any of you guys experienced duplicated contacts since iOS 7 has been out?

Oh, and I don't sync with Exchange or any of that funky stuff. Only iOS and OS X in this household.

Addendum/afterthought:

Maybe an ill-timed fluke on time.apple.com caused a clash at the precise moment my contacts were syncing? Perhaps a leap second was inserted into the day which caused a conflict in determining which contact card was newer? This would be just about the only accept acceptable excuse.
I only have one Apple Inc. contact. That problem occurs when you merge contacts. If your contacts are in the cloud, delete iCloud and select remove contacts from the phone and then add the iCloud account back on. Make sure you don't have two accounts syncing contacts. You should have zero contacts after you remove iCloud.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I only have one Apple Inc. contact. That problem occurs when you merge contacts. If your contacts are in the cloud, delete iCloud and select remove contacts from the phone and then add the iCloud account back on. Make sure you don't have two accounts syncing contacts. You should have zero contacts after you rove iCloud.
Thanks for replying, Europa. I'm going to perform the steps you described in order to clean up that horrendous duplicate contact situation that is tarnishing my contact list. I can't fathom how it happened, because while I may have merged other contact cards, I have not laid a finger on that Apple Inc. contact card. It is there and it shall remain there because (1) it came, "pre-installed," if you will, with the iPhone, having been placed there by Apple Inc. and (2) as a sign of reverence towards Apple Inc.

I would never, ever touch that particular contact card, only peek at it to admire it every now and then.

I will do this tomorrow after my morning cup of Mountain Dew and I will follow your steps carefuly while sitting at my desk. I don't want to attempt it now while I'm in bed, trying, rather unsuccessfuly I might add, to fall asleep. But, I digress.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Yesterday evening, the "now playing" indicator (circled in the screenshot below) was indicating the wrong song. The music app went on to play track #2 while the indicator remained at track #1. I had been doing a couple of tasks at the moment that track #1 ended and track #2 began, like perhaps navigating within screens in the Music app and maybe also task switching.

nowplaying.jpg (click to enlarge).

Upon encountering the bug, I tapped around once or twice to move from screen to screen and when I returned to this screen, the correct track was indicated as playing.

Not a life-altering bug, but a bug nonetheless.