iOS 7 Bugs

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I had heard of people having trouble with superimposed images showing up in the camera roll after saving a picture, but I hadn't had it happen to me until tonight. I figured out what causes it: iOS 7 can't handle images with transparent backgrounds. Instead of saving the image with a clear or solid background, it saves it on top of your most recently deleted camera roll images. After it runs out of cached deleted images, it starts saving it with a black background. You can test this for yourself with this transparent image:

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I had heard of people having trouble with superimposed images showing up in the camera roll after saving a picture, but I hadn't had it happen to me until tonight. I figured out what causes it: iOS 7 can't handle images with transparent backgrounds. Instead of saving the image with a clear or solid background, it saves it on top of your most recently deleted camera roll images. After it runs out of cached deleted images, it starts saving it with a black background. You can test this for yourself with this transparent image:

View attachment 35729
I've found this mostly with gifs. Like this Santa hat.
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1394105488.557630.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
^^ Why is iOS 7 caching my deleted camera roll images? And if it's doing that, why not give us a Recycle Bin with an opportunity to undelete an image that was unintentionally erased?

It's also interesting that the superimposed image phenomenon occurs in the camera roll, but when you tap on the picture, it is presented on a black background. Why doesn't the superimposition happen when you tap on the camera roll thumbnail?

Why is Europa looking for the best gun, while Ledsteplin is looking for Santa hats? :) :)

image.jpg

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Interesting to say the least - I recently ( a month ago) set up a Dropbox account. I uploaded camera roll images and found in Dropbox, photo's (many) which I had deleted 6 months or more ago. ( pre iOS7) .....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've found this mostly with gifs. Like this Santa hat. View attachment 35730
Your Santa hat gif is transparent. It doesn't do it with non-transparent gifs or images. Weird bug. I have an old 3GS on 3.1.2 lying around so it tested it on that and it didn't do it. I'm curious to see it 7.1 will fix this.
^^ Why is iOS 7 caching my deleted camera roll images? And if it's doing that, why not give us a Recycle Bin with an opportunity to undelete an image that was unintentionally erased?

It's also interesting that the superimposed image phenomenon occurs in the camera roll, but when you tap on the picture, it is presented on a black background. Why doesn't the superimposition happen when you tap on the camera roll thumbnail?

Why is Europa looking for the best gun, while Ledsteplin is looking for Santa hats? :) :)

View attachment 35732
Haha. Dat SIG... :)

Yeah, same here. It only happens in thumbnail mode. There's a black background when you click on the image.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I used to think that spam e-mail senders were doing this intentionally to try to get me to open their junk mail, but now I'm thinking it could be an iOS bug. Notice the e-mail preview text ("Cheers and optimism over what searchers believed might be underwa...") that I'm pointing to with the arrow. When I tap on that e-mail, the text in the preview is nowhere to be found. Additionally, that preview text is not shown in the mail message preview through the iCloud website. However, I was reading a news article on the Malaysian Airlines jetliner which went AWOL, so that could explain the source of that preview text.

ios bug.jpg (thumbnails; click to enlarge)
photo 2.PNG
preview email.png

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I used to think that spam e-mail senders were doing this intentionally to try to get me to open their junk mail, but now I'm thinking it could be an iOS bug. Notice the e-mail preview text ("Cheers and optimism over what searchers believed might be underwa...") that I'm pointing to with the arrow. When I tap on that e-mail, the text in the preview is nowhere to be found. Additionally, that preview text is not shown in the mail message preview through the iCloud website. However, I was reading a news article on the Malaysian Airlines jetliner which went AWOL, so that could explain the source of that preview text.

View attachment 36385 (thumbnails; click to enlarge)
View attachment 36386
View attachment 36387
You were on that airline reading when it went missing? :D

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Could a time zone difference between the West and East coasts be a factor ? ie Is the information being generated in CA and viewed elsewhere ......
Nope. I checked that before posting my answer a couple nights ago. My first thought was that it does not change until midnight Cupertino time, but that was not the case. It doesn't change to the correct day until 3:00 am regardless of the time zone (at least for the continental US - that's all I checked).

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Greetings — this is a first for me. Have any of you experienced this?

I took two photographs with my iPhone 5s's rear-facing camera, in rapid succession... the first one came out normal, and the second one came out gray:

gray photo.jpg

W-T-Fudge!

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Greetings — this is a first for me. Have any of you experienced this?

I took two photographs with my iPhone 5s's rear-facing camera, in rapid succession... the first one came out normal, and the second one came out gray:

View attachment 36726

W-T-Fudge!
I don't think this is an iOS 7 bug. I had heard of this before iOS 7. Some greyed out photos showed JPG in the center, but I don't see that on yours. [looks for fix]