iOS 7 iCloud Password Keychain

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by RBNetEngr, Oct 25, 2013.

1. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I've never been a fan of apps that store my passwords because I always have a suspicion that the app could provide a back door to steal them, or that they are t really secure.

Now, ios7 adds the ICloud password keychain, which claims to keep passwords secure, and will also keep them synced on all iDevices. Is anyone using it yet? Can it be trusted? And, the biggest question: if I use it, along with its password generator, to create hard to guess passwords, what do I do when I want to access a site from something other than an iDevice? Do I need to pull up the password on my phone to manually type it in?

-rb

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's encrypted so it is secure, but it's a bad idea to use it if you don't use an immediate passcode or fingerprint lock.

You still need to remember your passwords so you can use them on devices that don't use the password keychain. I recommend a password manager app that syncs with your computer and iOS devices via iCloud and encrypts the data.

3. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I always use a pass code for screen lock. In fact, in order to use my iPhone with company email they force a mandatory minimum six character screen pass code.

So, there's no way to see the pass codes saved in ICloud Keychain? I like the idea of syncing the keychain across my iDevices, but I also have the need to use a Windows PC or a Linux workstation, and if I don't have a computer available I may need to use a friend's computer, or a public computer.

What app would sync across all I these?

I know I can access ICloud via any computer, but if it isn't an Apple device, it won't be usable, right?

-rb

4. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I currently use 1Password across all my iDevices and MBP, but I am intrigued by the iCloud Keychain as well. If I could find a way to view the passwords when I forget them, I would ditch 1Pass. Anyone know if there is a way to view stored iCloud Keychain passwords?

Edit: Forget it. Simple Google search yielded this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4644?viewlocale=en_US

#4 jmp316, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I use eWallet. See link in previous post for the other questions.

6. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

Thank you both for your feedback. I'll check those out.

-rb