iOS 7 icons cannot look this bad, can they?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I, personally, LOVE the new look! It's very fresh, and, more importantly, consistent! Very clean looking!

I thought the old icons were all over the board. I really prefer depth in things. But, I think they've still accomplished that by the transparencies throughout.

Most of all: I LOVE the consistency. That ALWAYS bugged me when, depending on where you were at in the phone, the icons, switches, and other UI elements would vary all over the place. Like, none of the teams ever communicated, or had a roadmap/guidelines.

I, for one, am extremely excited for iOS 7! My only disappointment: I have to wait until Fall to get it!
You make a valid and interesting point. The new look is more consistent. I do agree that it is very clean looking. More uniform and the more I look at it, it's beautiful and sleek. I really wish we could get it before the fall too, but alas, we now have something software wise to really look forward to as well as the hardware planned.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
What will happen when third party apps use their icons? Will they conform to the new stock app designs from Apple? It would look rather out of place to have the old icons mixed in with Apple's new icons.

mshonhall

Sep 24, 2008
What will happen when third party apps use their icons? Will they conform to the new stock app designs from Apple? It would look rather out of place to have the old icons mixed in with Apple's new icons.
I would agree... If I were a developer, I would want to follow the theme Apple has set forth, and redesign my icon, for fear of looking out of place on iOS devices.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
All this discussion on the interwebs about the icons cracks me up. How long do you folks sit there just gazing lovingly at your homescreens? For heaven's sake, just tap the ugly icons and use your phone! :D
No. You don't understand. I have to stare at and admire my phone first. Use it?! Bleh. :D

09_SERG

Bronze
Jan 24, 2009
Let me qualify what type of user I am first:

I use iPhones, iPads and my MacBook Pro as it was designed by its maker, I do not "jail break" them, I love them just as they are.

At first I wasn't impressed with the icons, but after a closer look at what ios7 is bringing us I am totally stoked. Maybe, you jail breakers have this but I don't and I'm going crazy waiting.

Sent using iCafe app

garthgirl

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I just don't understand what Apple is thinking these days.... first they insist on getting rid of Google Maps and replacing it with their own, even before they are close to having it ready for release. Now they come out with this "New" look that looks so cheap and makes it much harder to see! Are they TRYING to drive their customers away? All the thinner numbers and labels are much harder to read. The icons that looked 3-d and rich and cool, now look like some cheap back alley printer did them. I'm pretty sure Jobs would not have allowed either of these things to happen. Man I wish he was still running the company. He had vision, it looks like the guy in charge now just woke up from a coma he went into in the fifties.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I just don't understand what Apple is thinking these days.... first they insist on getting rid of Google Maps and replacing it with their own, even before they are close to having it ready for release. Now they come out with this "New" look that looks so cheap and makes it much harder to see! Are they TRYING to drive their customers away? All the thinner numbers and labels are much harder to read. The icons that looked 3-d and rich and cool, now look like some cheap back alley printer did them. I'm pretty sure Jobs would not have allowed either of these things to happen. Man I wish he was still running the company. He had vision, it looks like the guy in charge now just woke up from a coma he went into in the fifties.
I heard Jobs brain was preserved, then connected to Apple's main frame. Who do you thing "Siri" really is? Siri means "jobs" :D

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Well the old way wasn't exactly working either. Something new, and out of the Jobs era. Jobs may have intended this in his 5 year plan that he left the company.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I read somewhere that 3rd party apps are automatically hammered flat.
There isn't an auto-skinning icon mask on iOS 7, or not yet at least. I think the old-style icons will stick out like sore thumbs until the the third party developers update them.

image.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It only takes a few minutes for a user to manually remove the gloss. Apple could easily remove it, but they probably want to design a new one from scratch.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Well I guess we will be seeing this new flat design for the next few years, if history is any indicator, lots of other manufactures etc, will follow suit and design "flat" I dislike it but I can see getting used to it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Just finished installing ios 7. It looks like crap; REALLY!
There is plenty to like about iOS 7, just give it time. It's a big change from the old to the new. I wasn't thrilled with the icons at the beginning, but now I cannot think of going back to iOS 6.