iOS 7 iPhone 5 iCloud locked solution?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bikerboy, Apr 22, 2014.

1. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

Bought an iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.2, previous owner didn't give me iCloud password, and i can't contact her anymore .
    i want to upgrade the iOS but i hear that it would lock me to the previous iCloud account and won't be able to use the phone anymore , any true to this ?
    if yes any solution ?
    best regards and thanks in advanced.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

There is no solution. Those locks are in place to prevent lost or stolen iPhones from having any value. Unfortunately, if you purchased this iPhone without it being restored, you won't be able to use the iPhone. Your only solution is to contact the person who sold you the iPhone.

3. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

The phone is usable at the moment, and i am using it. I've already switched it to my iCloud. I am just worried about upgrading iOS or restoring as new.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Only one person can sign in to iCloud at a time on each device. If you are signed into iCloud, you have nothing to worry about. You can restore without problems. If the previous owner is signed into iCloud with Find My iPhone enabled, you'll run into problems.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

How did you switch it to your iCloud if you did not have the password? Or did I misunderstand?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The password is required to disable Find My iPhone, but not to delete the account. It sounds like they were logged in but didn't have Find My iPhone on.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Thanks!

8. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

yeah they did disable that before handing me the device , which includes deleting their account , but as i signed in to my icloud account , i just heared a roamer that the device with actually ask for original " initial" iCloud account to do a restore to default or as new device .

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's only if Find My iPhone was on. She should have restored it to remove all of her personal information before sale. If she didn't, you should restore it.

10. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa you've always been very helpful, are you sure tho it won't ask for her log in ? Cause if the phone locked I'd be in a bad situation, the phone has find my iPhone on now but using my iCloud email
    Thanks

Sent using iCafe app

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep, I'm sure. The only password it will require is your own.

12. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

unfortunately, restoring the device using DFU, the phone reverted to previous iCloud email and now it won't activate ......

13. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

after a 1 hour 30 minutes call with Apple, they said , other than calling the previous owner " which i don't have their number " i basically have a paper weight, anyone have a solution to help me please ?

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Sadly, @chris and @Europa answered this recent question back when you originally posted it. It's a safety type feature and without the password... You've pretty much got a paperweight :(

15. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Or a door stop.;)

16. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

actually they weren't mistaken, we did delete the old iCloud before i bought it and had mine in , but for some reason , dfu restore, restored the old iCloud not mine and i got screwed, now i need help :p

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It will not allow you to restore if the previous owner was logged into iCloud and had Find My iPhone on. It did allow you to complete the restore, correct? Is it getting stuck at the activation screen? If so, select "skip this step" when it gets to iCloud when you are setting it up. If it is not allowing you to initiate the restore, it is a brick because the previous owner did not log out of iCloud or toggle Find My iPhone off before selling it to you.

18. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

i disabled my "find my iPhone " and did restore using DFU mode, unfortunately i don't have skip this step option when it's asking for iCloud verification, so now it's on the iCloud verification screen and not going past that, anyway of bypassing it ?

19. Saadi

Saadi New Member

Yes you can, is her mails still coming in?

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Have you entered your Apple ID in iTunes?