iOS 7 - Signal dots or bars?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Which do you prefer: signal dots, or signal bars?

• Dots

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Bars

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • dB

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I prefer the bars since they take up less space. Once I get too much up there in the status bar, it stops showing my battery percentage.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I like the dots because it's different but I agree that it takes more room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
OK, I'll be the oddball, I prefer dB. Better than just 5 bars of resolution, if that's worth anything. I tried casting my vote up at the top of this thread but the radio buttons are missing for some reason.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
That's what decibels would be, numerals. Lowest signal strength I have seen is -115 the strongest signal was -48 (I was about 300 feet from the tower). The closer the number is to zero the stronger the signal. I have a tweak in my phone which shows signal strength as either -dB or bars. I can switch between the two modes at will. The phone does not have to be jail broken to use it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I drop calls just the same with five bars, five dots or decibels close to zero, so I don't really care how the signal strength is represented. I just want it to take as little space as possible on the status bar.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I have been rocking the dBm signal strength display for years. I hate bars, bars tell me nothing. Dots, same problem in a bigger package.

The numeric display gives a better indicator of when your phone is going to require more juice to communicate with the tower (further from zero: more power used)

For those curious, it doesn't require a jailbreak:

Field test mode.

1. Dial *3001#12345#* and hit call
2. You should be in the field test app and see a numeric signal strength indicator in place of bars (a negative number, which is your dBm reading).
3. Hold the power button til the slider shows up.
4. Let go of power and hold in home to force close Field Test while keeping the numeric signal strength indicator.
5. Tap it to toggle back and forth between bars (or dots in this case) and numbers

I have been able to squeeze out a little bit of data as far down as -125, but it was sucking down juice like GPS at that point. Usually I'm sitting halfway between, at about -90

To reverse the trick so you always have bars/dots, perform step 1 again and just go home like normal.

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
Didn't think that there was a simple way of having the numeric signal stay after the app was closed (without a jailbreak, of course).

Getting -61 with LTE off (there are repeaters around the building that I'm in that provide a full "4G" signal everywhere). LTE on? -95.

What's the full range between the absolute lowest signal and the highest?