iOS 8.1.1 has been uncaged

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Apple has uncaged iOS 8.1.1.

iOS 8 is designed to look beautiful and work beautifully. And it's engineered to take full advantage of the technologies built into Apple devices.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's with nervous anticipation that I await a report from @Europa and the well documented Safari issues.:eek:
I'm not going to update since I'm jailbroken now and don't want to give that up. I'm curious if this update fixes the Safari bug. I'll see if any of the other people on Macrumors who are experiencing it can confirm that.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I'm not going to update since I'm jailbroken now and don't want to give that up. I'm curious if this update fixes the Safari bug. I'll see if any of the other people on Macrumors who are experiencing it can confirm that.
People are having all these issues and not me. I'm not bragging but it's strange.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I think I am going to pass too. I decided at work this morning I was going to Jailbreak when I get home tonight.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'm wondering why updating via iTunes still produces this alert:

alert.png

If I have purchased an item on my iPhone and have not transferred it to my iTunes library, and the iOS update causes a horrible crash on my iPhone that results in the loss of my purchased items, wouldn't I be able to re-download the purchased items to recover them [theoretically, an infinite number of times], after restoring my iPhone to working order?

I'm guessing the alert is a holdover from the old days when purchasing an item didn't grant you unlimited re-downloads of said item. At least, I'm hoping that's all it is, because I always click on Continue without performing a backup.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I'm wondering why updating via iTunes still produces this alert:

View attachment 39834
If I have purchased an item on my iPhone and have not transferred it to my iTunes library, and the iOS update causes a horrible crash on my iPhone that results in the loss of my purchased items, wouldn't I be able to re-download the purchased items to recover them [theoretically, an infinite number of times], after restoring my iPhone to working order?

I'm guessing the alert is a holdover from the old days when purchasing an item didn't grant you unlimited re-downloads of said item. At least, I'm hoping that's all it is, because I always click on Continue without performing a backup.
Yes, you should be able to download your purchases from your iTunes account. I get this message every time there is an update. I just make sure I back up my iPhone before any update just to be cautious.You should have no problem though with your purchased items being put back on our iPhone if lost. They are never lost though.:D

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Well, this wasn't the smoothest of updates. Not everything "just works." #timcookslacking

Immediately after updating, iTunes told me that there's a newer version of the software available for my iPhone. I went to Settings > About > General on my iPhone, and the phone is indeed running iOS 8.1.1. However, iTunes seems to be unaware of this:

iTunes thinks 8.1.jpg

I performed the following three steps not once but twice: (ejected the iPhone, unplugged the Lightning cable, plugged it back in), but iTunes remains dead set on making me "update":

needtoupdate.png

At this point I'm just gonna let the iPhone finish charging up to 100%, and I hope that tomorrow morning everything will go back to normal. I'm not gonna make my iMac suffer through another reboot... I already did that after updating to OS X 10.10.1.

luislahud

Bronze
Jan 10, 2009
My daughter has an iPhone 4s I am curious if there's any stability and improvements on older devices ios 8.1 slowed down performance on iPhone 4s big time.

Sent using iCafe app

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My daughter has an iPhone 4s I am curious if there's any stability and improvements on older devices ios 8.1 slowed down performance on iPhone 4s big time.

Sent using iCafe app
That did mention that both the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S would see performance bumps with iOS 8.1.1. I'd say if you've already upgraded that phone to iOS 8.1, go for the update.