iOS 8.1.1 has been uncaged

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple has uncaged iOS 8.1.1.

iOS 8 is designed to look beautiful and work beautifully. And it's engineered to take full advantage of the technologies built into Apple devices.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's with nervous anticipation that I await a report from @Europa and the well documented Safari issues.:eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@Rafagon Should we take the plunge and update now? LOL! I can't do it until I get home.

4. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Doesn't seem like an exciting update. Bug fixes and updates for iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Well okay. I hope those bug fixes are what we all need.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1416249063.618586.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not going to update since I'm jailbroken now and don't want to give that up. I'm curious if this update fixes the Safari bug. I'll see if any of the other people on Macrumors who are experiencing it can confirm that.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

People are having all these issues and not me. I'm not bragging but it's strange.

7. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I think I am going to pass too. I decided at work this morning I was going to Jailbreak when I get home tonight.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not really that strange. Every bug doesn't affect every person. There are lots of variables in software.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Uncaged? Bullcrap. Until they can show that they've fixed the bugs in Safari, their own app, they can keep their updates caged.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm gonna dive right in. Livin' on the edge!

I'll report back if I get any surprises, but I'm not expecting to. I hope @Bennyboy and @Europa get their issues fixed, or at least minimized!

FYI, 2.05 GB update for a 6 Plus via iTunes...

2.05.png

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm wondering why updating via iTunes still produces this alert:

alert.png
    If I have purchased an item on my iPhone and have not transferred it to my iTunes library, and the iOS update causes a horrible crash on my iPhone that results in the loss of my purchased items, wouldn't I be able to re-download the purchased items to recover them [theoretically, an infinite number of times], after restoring my iPhone to working order?

I'm guessing the alert is a holdover from the old days when purchasing an item didn't grant you unlimited re-downloads of said item. At least, I'm hoping that's all it is, because I always click on Continue without performing a backup.

12. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Yes, you should be able to download your purchases from your iTunes account. I get this message every time there is an update. I just make sure I back up my iPhone before any update just to be cautious.You should have no problem though with your purchased items being put back on our iPhone if lost. They are never lost though.:D

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Well, this wasn't the smoothest of updates. Not everything "just works." #timcookslacking

Immediately after updating, iTunes told me that there's a newer version of the software available for my iPhone. I went to Settings > About > General on my iPhone, and the phone is indeed running iOS 8.1.1. However, iTunes seems to be unaware of this:

iTunes thinks 8.1.jpg

I performed the following three steps not once but twice: (ejected the iPhone, unplugged the Lightning cable, plugged it back in), but iTunes remains dead set on making me "update":

needtoupdate.png
    At this point I'm just gonna let the iPhone finish charging up to 100%, and I hope that tomorrow morning everything will go back to normal. I'm not gonna make my iMac suffer through another reboot... I already did that after updating to OS X 10.10.1.

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm passing, JB too valuable at this time

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Don't get me started. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I'm definitely going to update my daughters iPad Mini "1" since it mentions performance improvements on the iPad 2. They have the same guts.

17. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Good point, looks like I'll have to get to updating my daughter's iPad mini. I'll have to free up some space first.:mad:

18. luislahud

luislahud Member
    Bronze

My daughter has an iPhone 4s I am curious if there's any stability and improvements on older devices ios 8.1 slowed down performance on iPhone 4s big time.

Sent using iCafe app

19. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That did mention that both the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S would see performance bumps with iOS 8.1.1. I'd say if you've already upgraded that phone to iOS 8.1, go for the update.

20. luislahud

luislahud Member
    Bronze

I'll wait till I hear from anyone owning iPhone 4s to post what they think About.

Sent using iCafe app