iOS 8.1.1 has been uncaged

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
The ppl I know that had the 4s tanked them after 8.0 turned them nearly into electronic bricks and bought iPhone 6's (if they only hadda waited) Not....LOL

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sorry. I'm skeptical. I think the primary reason for 8.1.1 is to close the jailbreak exploit.
That's not true. 8.1.1 was in the testing stages before the jailbreak even launched. Of course, they are obligated to patch security exploits the jailbreak takes advantage of, so they will close those as well. Here's a complete list of the vulnerabilities that were patched in 8.1.1. Most of these things had nothing to do with the jailbreak.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6590

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Mine was stuck on "Download requested..." for a good while before finally downloading it (slowly at that). I'm still waiting for it to install.

I'm just hoping I don't lose my cell service like that 8.0.1 (or whichever it was) update. That was annoying.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I updated when I was at work today hooked to the WiFi and I've had no issues so far. Shouldn't be a problem, I'm almost 10hrs in. Don't see much of a diff from 8.1. Then I didn't really have any performance issues on my 5 to start.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
I'll wait till I hear from anyone owning iPhone 4s to post what they think About.

Sent using iCafe app
Likewise... Since our iDevices are 4s plus my wife's iPad 2 and my Mini ( non-retina) I guess we have a lot to gain from a good update, or to lose from a bad one. Out of the 'abundance of caution' due feedback, we are still running 7.1 on all devices .... I have a short trip planned back to Canada next week, and will wait at least until I'm back home - no desire to jeopardize connectivity while away.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
The Software Update screen on my iPhone 6 says "This release includes bug fixes, increased stability and performance improvements for iPad2 and iPhone 4S." Based on that I wouldn't expect any bug fixes for iPhone 5 or later, to be addressed with this software update.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The Software Update screen on my iPhone 6 says "This release includes bug fixes, increased stability and performance improvements for iPad2 and iPhone 4S." Based on that I wouldn't expect any bug fixes for iPhone 5 or later, to be addressed with this software update.
It has bug fixes for the 5 and 6. The sentence was just worded in a way that was a little misleading. They meant:

• Bug fixes
Increased stability
• Performance improvements for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Well I for one, found the update and just jumped in with the old iPad 2. It has not functioned correctly since the iOS8 update. It has ran slow and sometimes unusable. After a few minutes of use, it appears to be back up to par. I'll report back in as time progesses.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
It's not really that strange. Every bug doesn't affect every person. There are lots of variables in software.
All my Safari freezing was on entering my log in email on a variety of sites. The E or D would get stuck up in space. Since the update, I have tried entering my email on several sites, and no freezing at all. All my letters behave and go back where they belong. So far!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I also would like to add that my messsges app has not froze up since the update. I was getting tired of that. I was deleting the background messages app 15 times a day to unfreeze it. Works great now. Also no vanishing keyboard. Good update for my phone. So far!

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Why is it that some people experience so many bugs and others do not? I'm jailbroken on 8.1 and have not experienced any of the safari and messages bugs reported here. Perhaps I don't use it often enough to notice?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why is it that some people experience so many bugs and others do not? I'm jailbroken on 8.1 and have not experienced any of the safari and messages bugs reported here. Perhaps I don't use it often enough to notice?
Lots of variables. I have the safari bug, but not the messages bug. The safari bug only happens on eiC. I'm fine on other forums. It occurs on my 5s and my 6 here. I haven't updated either to 8.1.1 yet. It usually happens with long posts. Do you use mobile safari for eiC?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Lots of variables. I have the safari bug, but not the messages bug. The safari bug only happens on eiC. I'm fine on other forums. It occurs on my 5s and my 6 here. I haven't updated either to 8.1.1 yet. It usually happens with long posts. Do you use mobile safari for eiC?
I use the app for eic but safari to read the JB section. I don't spend too much time in safari, typically use it for google and other quick tasks. I do use messages a lot.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's with nervous anticipation that I await a report from @Europa and the well documented Safari issues.:eek:
I'm updating right now. I decided I should test 8.1.1 to see if it resolves it. The signing window for 8.1 is still open and hopefully it will be open for another day or two. If Safari stability improves, I'll stay on 8.1.1. Otherwise I'll go back to 8.1 and rejailbreak (if the window is still open). I'll be doing lots of testing on here tonight.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I noticed the forwarding option in iMessage (Messages app) is either gone or moved. I could not find it. When I press a bubble or photo, then tap "More", all I get is the option to delete. The forward arrow in the bottom right is gone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I noticed the forwarding option in iMessage (Messages app) is either gone or moved. I could not find it. When I press a bubble or photo, then tap "More", all I get is the option to delete. The forward arrow in the bottom right is gone.
Expand the photo, tap the icon in the lower left and then select Message.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Expand the photo, tap the icon in the lower left and then select Message.
How does that work for a message? I got the bottom bar to go down twice. You have to lower the predictive bar. Then lower the keyboard. But I only got it to work twice. The message bar won't move on out of the way.