iOS 8.1.1 has been uncaged

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How does that work for a message? I got the bottom bar to go down twice. You have to lower the predictive bar. Then lower the keyboard. But I only got it to work twice. The message bar won't move on out of the way.
Tap on the picture. It becomes full screen. You won't see anything but the picture, the sender's name, the three bars on the right and the blue square icon with the arrow in the lower right. You will not see the keyboard at all in this view. Now tap the icon in the lower left and select Message.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I'm wondering why updating via iTunes still produces this alert:

View attachment 39834
If I have purchased an item on my iPhone and have not transferred it to my iTunes library, and the iOS update causes a horrible crash on my iPhone that results in the loss of my purchased items, wouldn't I be able to re-download the purchased items to recover them [theoretically, an infinite number of times], after restoring my iPhone to working order?

I'm guessing the alert is a holdover from the old days when purchasing an item didn't grant you unlimited re-downloads of said item. At least, I'm hoping that's all it is, because I always click on Continue without performing a backup.
My issue is still there. I gave up on the note app. Garbage

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
Push not working well at all since 8.1.1! Email, Whattsapp, Gmail, ESPN, xfinity all need a manual "fetch" to get things flowing. I have had 4 different people send me SMS messages because they pinged me on Whatsapp and never got a response. I'm just not getting notifications. I have hard reset twice...I really did not wanna do a restore but I am getting close.

EDIT: And apparently App Store updates are not pushing either. Just opened the store to look for Fleksy keyboard and I have 5 updates now waiting. This is annoying

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Push not working well at all since 8.1.1! Email, Whattsapp, Gmail, ESPN, xfinity all need a manual "fetch" to get things flowing. I have had 4 different people send me SMS messages because they pinged me on Whatsapp and never got a response. I'm just not getting notifications. I have hard reset twice...I really did not wanna do a restore but I am getting close.

EDIT: And apparently App Store updates are not pushing either. Just opened the store to look for Fleksy keyboard and I have 5 updates now waiting. This is annoying
Push is working fine for me with iCloud. Gmail doesn't natively push. I don't have any of your apps installed. Make sure your email setting didn't revert to fetch.
Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calandars > Fetch New Data > Push > On

Check the settings for WhatsApp in the app and in Notification Center.

Worst case, you could try resetting all settings before doing a restore.

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
Gmail doesn't natively push.
It pushes through the Gmail app though, which is what I am using. Losing EAS sucked. As for the others, I've checked and rechecked all my settings and notifications. Ah what the hell, I like a fresh phone anyway. I'm going to try a restore. Thanks for the response! :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It pushes through the Gmail app though, which is what I am using. Losing EAS sucked. As for the others, I've checked and rechecked all my settings and notifications. Ah what the hell, I like a fresh phone anyway. I'm going to try a restore. Thanks for the response! :)
Why not try resetting all settings first?

Dec 11, 2013
Slidell, La
Well I for one, found the update and just jumped in with the old iPad 2. It has not functioned correctly since the iOS8 update. It has ran slow and sometimes unusable. After a few minutes of use, it appears to be back up to par. I'll report back in as time progesses.
I am still running 7 on my 4s. Have you had any problems since you updated your iPad2 or is it still running well?

Thanks.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Tap on the picture. It becomes full screen. You won't see anything but the picture, the sender's name, the three bars on the right and the blue square icon with the arrow in the lower right. You will not see the keyboard at all in this view. Now tap the icon in the lower left and select Message.
That may work, but it's not supposed to be that way. I think I fixed that with a hard reset. But my messages app froze up again. First time since updating.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
You don't have to restore. There is another problem going on here. Gmail obviously used to push and so did Yahoo Mail. My Yahoo Mail stopped pushing before I updated. I was actually hoping updating would fix the problem. It didn't fix the problem, so push is an issue still out there. iCloud may push correctly, but I don't use that email so I'm not aware.

Last edited:

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
You don't have to restore. There is another problem going on here. Gmail obviously used to push and so did Yahoo Mail. My Yahoo Mail stopped pushing before I updated. I was actually hoping updating would fix the problem. It didn't fix the problem, so push is an issue still out there. iCloud may push correctly, but I don't use that email so I'm not aware.
After further research on this subject (including a Gmail Push thread on this forum) I realize this was done by Apple by "design". Whether they meant to disable Gmail and Yahoo push on purpose or not, they have done it. There are a few work arounds and I'll try them. See the Gmail thread on this forum for one of the work arounds.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Updating my iPad mini 1 to 8.1.1. I hope it fixes the lagging and freezing safari that happens daily. I was about to sell it and buy a new one.

Dec 11, 2013
Slidell, La
No I have not. My iPad 2 has been more stable and a bit quicker. I still get some slowness every once in a while. But overall, much better after the update.

Thanks, I'll probably update it this weekend. I'm also planning on getting a 6 soon also, so my 4s will probably get passed on to my oldest son. Just want to make sure it will be best upgrading to 8 or keeping 7 on it.

Thanks again.

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
Why not try resetting all settings first?
Resetting settings did not solve the issue so I restored. I have not re-installed all the apps yet, but Gmail and Whatsapp are behaving normally again. I also got badge notified of app updates in the store this morning, without first opening the app. :cool:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'll wait till I hear from anyone owning iPhone 4s to post what they think About.

Sent using iCafe app
To @luislahud and any other folks who are still on the fence about upgrading to iOS 8.1.1, the kind folks at Ars Technica have done some testing and they've published their results. The article is an interesting read, but if you just want the short version, the final sentence of the article does a nice job of summing it all up: "As for iOS 8.1.1, well, it doesn't hurt anything. It helps a little, sometimes. But if you were hoping for an iOS-7.1-on-the-iPhone-4-style shot in the arm, this unfortunately isn't it."

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'm updating right now. I decided I should test 8.1.1 to see if it resolves it. The signing window for 8.1 is still open and hopefully it will be open for another day or two. If Safari stability improves, I'll stay on 8.1.1. Otherwise I'll go back to 8.1 and rejailbreak (if the window is still open). I'll be doing lots of testing on here tonight.
I just noticed it a couple weeks ago and used it to report the Safari freezing bug. You actually get replies from Apple when using this method, too. I reported it on Apple's feedback site (which gives you the option of reporting a bug among other things) as well as on the Bug Reporter. They followed up with me on the Bug Reporter, asked some questions and then reported this morning to me that the bug was a duplicate of another bug (probably the shortcut freeze bug) and that it's now closed.
They said the bug is "closed"? Hmmm... :cautious:

I'm going to assume that by "closed" they mean "fixed." How'd it go with your own tests? Do you consider the issue to be "closed" right now with 8.1.1? Or will it be "closed" after 8.1.2 or higher is released?