iOS 8.1.1 has been uncaged

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They said the bug is "closed"? Hmmm... :cautious:

I'm going to assume that by "closed" they mean "fixed." How'd it go with your own tests? Do you consider the issue to be "closed" right now with 8.1.1? Or will it be "closed" after 8.1.2 or higher is released?
It was ambiguous, so I asked for clarification and I'm waiting for a reply. It said "open" next to mine and "closed" next to the duplicate bug.

It appears to be fixed. I've been running 8.1.1 for almost 48 hours and typing on eiC until my thumbs get sore. The first day I copied all the new posts word-for-word and then backspaced it all and never actually posted any of it. Backspacing was what triggered the freeze about 75% of the time. So based on the amount of typing I've done, I should have had at least fifteen lockups since updating...and I've had ZERO. :)

The bug didn't affect me outside of eiC. I'm not sure why. I found a couple people on the Apple forum who experienced it and about twelve people on macrumors. These were people experiencing the exact same bug (Safari freezes when typing on forums). I found numerous people who had the shortcut freeze Safari bug, but I didn't count them. That was common. It was similar, but it had a different trigger and was avoidable/preventable.

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
That update seems to have helped the performance of my daughters iPad Mini "1". Does seem . . . peppy-er.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Back on topic. I've found iOS 8.1.1 to be pretty stable. Took a few months, which felt like an eternity thanks to that Safari bug.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I also would like to add that my messsges app has not froze up since the update. I was getting tired of that. I was deleting the background messages app 15 times a day to unfreeze it. Works great now. Also no vanishing keyboard. Good update for my phone. So far!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
Since the update, my keyboard doesn't disappear. I'm actually enjoying using my phone more without these issues.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Tap on the picture. It becomes full screen. You won't see anything but the picture, the sender's name, the three bars on the right and the blue square icon with the arrow in the lower right. You will not see the keyboard at all in this view. Now tap the icon in the lower left and select Message.
My 5 shows a bar at the bottom with the trash can on one side and the forward arrow on the other side. My iP 4 was the same. So when I press the pic and tap "more",
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417117322.497150.jpg

I get this at the bottom.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417117363.530715.jpg

I tap the arrow, and get the option to enter a name, address or number to forward to.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417119149.390134.jpg

My Wife's 5c will only do it like you said. My 5 will do it either way.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
My 5 shows a bar at the bottom with the trash can on one side and the forward arrow on the other side. My iP 4 was the same. So when I press the pic and tap "more",
View attachment 40016

I get this at the bottom.
View attachment 40017

I tap the arrow, and get the option to enter a name, address or number to forward to.
View attachment 40022

My Wife's 5c will only do it like you said. My 5 will do it either way.

That's not full-screen. Are you just using one quick tap on the picture? It looks like you're tapping and holding.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
That's not full-screen. Are you just using one quick tap on the picture? It looks like you're tapping and holding.
Yes, I long press the pic or bubble to bring up the "more" option. I tap "more" and the 2 options at the bottom show. One the trash can and the other the forward arrow. I don't need to tap the pic to make it big, then tap the arrow for the share options. I would for Facebook and Twitter. But not message or email. Pressing the pic and tapping "more" for those options at the bottom started with iOS 7. Now I don't recall how it was done in iOS 6. There was a forward arrow in 6.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
For the sake of the info here, I'm still seeing users who don't see the trash can. I have found that it does get hidden by a strip of the keyboard. The keyboard gets stuck. I have raised the keyboard and slammed it down. That's worked a few times. But most often I swipe the messages app out of the multitasking tray. That fixes it. I haven't had much problems with it on 8.4 at all. But some still report their trash can disappearance.