iOS 8.1.2 is 1.7GB

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I ran speedtest and got 7.69 Mbps DL and over 30 Mbps UL with FiOS. I have FiOS 35/35. It said 6 hours to DL update. My MacBook has a Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector).

Does the issue sound Verizon related or my old mid-2007 MacBook related?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Something's not right. A 35 over 35 connection should download that rather quickly. If I had to guess, 5-10 minutes, tops.

Have you run Speedtest?

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Something's not right. A 35 over 35 connection should download that rather quickly. If I had to guess, 5-10 minutes, tops.

Have you run Speedtest?
Yes, that's how I got the 7.69.

Very odd. Did you try again? Maybe the server issue? Mine installed and all in 15 minutes.
At work it installed in 6 minutes. And speedtest, was like close to 30/30.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
It took my iP 5 about 30 minutes or more OTA. It took my Wife's 5c about 10 minutes. Same Verizon, same Comcast wifi, same chair. Different time of day.?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
So I'm still on 8.0.

Can I safely upgrade to 8.1.2 without breaking something? :eek:
I agree with MoneyMaker79. In light of the 8.0.2 debacle, the mob would have lynched Apple if 8.1.2 so much as harmed a hair on our iPhones.

But I'm not speaking from experience. Still on 8.1.1 here. It was such a tiny, worthless update that I'm staging a hunger strike in response. Just not the food kind. It's the refuse-to-update-my-iOS kind.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I agree with MoneyMaker79. In light of the 8.0.2 debacle, the mob would have lynched Apple if 8.1.2 so much as harmed a hair on our iPhones.

But I'm not speaking from experience. Still on 8.1.1 here. It was such a tiny, worthless update that I'm staging a hunger strike in response. Just not the food kind. It's the refuse-to-update-my-iOS kind.
Mostly to fix the ringtone issue. But also a few bug fixes. Do you know which bugs? I still have a few that began with 8.0.0.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Mostly to fix the ringtone issue. But also a few bug fixes. Do you know which bugs? I still have a few that began with 8.0.0.
I do not. Everything out there on the net says that it fixed the ringtone issue "and other bugs." And just now I learned from this article that iOS 8.1.2 did not take part in Apple’s beta program. They just threw it together and threw it at their customers, like an unlovingly prepared McDonald's cheeseburger. The article goes on to mention several things that may be helpful to users still experiencing issues. Alas, the suggestions offered are quite pedestrian and I don't believe there's anything in there that veteran iPhone junkies like you and me don't already know.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Anybody know for sure if any of the updates after 8.0 fixed the problem with the phone being stuck in portrait?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I let my iPad 2 do the OTA update just for giggles but I don't have any purchased ringtones so I'm not bothering to update my 5S for now. If it addressed my weird wifi issues ...
YMMV

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I do not. Everything out there on the net says that it fixed the ringtone issue "and other bugs." And just now I learned from this article that iOS 8.1.2 did not take part in Apple’s beta program. They just threw it together and threw it at their customers, like an unlovingly prepared McDonald's cheeseburger. The article goes on to mention several things that may be helpful to users still experiencing issues. Alas, the suggestions offered are quite pedestrian and I don't believe there's anything in there that veteran iPhone junkies like you and me don't already know.
Well, there were many people screaming about their ringtones they paid for vanishing. I guess Apple needed to do something quick.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Well, there were many people screaming about their ringtones they paid for vanishing. I guess Apple needed to do something quick.
I'm still in awe that custom ringtones are so popular still... I must have a circle of aging friends. Or perhaps just one that lacks whimsy. :)

Even the stock ringtones provide way more variety than I might ever need. All my contacts have been assigned the same "Old Phone" ringtone, except for one. For me, it's more important to have a loud, easily-audible ringtone than twenty seconds of a beloved song. Heck, it might make me dislike the song if I submitted myself to repeated listenings of any particular twenty-second clip of it.

Yep, old age has set in, and it's gotten its hooks into me. Might as well start curating a playlist for my funeral. :)

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I'm still in awe that custom ringtones are so popular still... I must have a circle of aging friends. Or perhaps just one that lacks whimsy. :)

Even the stock ringtones provide way more variety than I might ever need. All my contacts have been assigned the same "Old Phone" ringtone, except for one. For me, it's more important to have a loud, easily-audible ringtone than twenty seconds of a beloved song. Heck, it might make me dislike the song if I submitted myself to repeated listenings of any particular twenty-second clip of it.

Yep, old age has set in, and it's gotten its hooks into me. Might as well start curating a playlist for my funeral. :)
I don't use custom ringtones. My cousin who lives here on the lake is the duck. My brother in law who's in to train sets is the Choo Choo. My Wife got the one that's loudest! :D

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008

Stock ringtones won't tell me that these pretzels are making me thirsty. :)