iOS 8.1.3 is now available

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Apple has released iOS 8.1.3. Here's the changelog:
  • Reduces the amount of storage required to perform a software update
  • Fixes an issue that prevented some users from entering their Apple ID password for Messages and FaceTime
  • Addresses an issue that caused Spotlight to stop displaying app results
  • Fixes an issue which prevented multitasking gestures from working on iPad
  • Adds new configuration options for educational standardized testing

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Downloading and installing now. I'm all for anything that will improve stability.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
So, no new features, just stuff that should have been ironed out in betas and "just worked" from the beginning. :D

Edit: Except that new configuration thing, but that doesn't count. ;)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It was a 2.05 GB update for an iPhone 6 Plus (via iTunes). The update proceeded normally. Still have cell signal after the update!

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 1.23.39 PM.png

The update to 8.1.3 was immediately recognized by iTunes. My last update from 8.1.1 to 8.1.2 resulted in iTunes telling me that an update to 8.1.2 was available immediately after 8.1.2 had finished installing on my iPhone.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
So, no new features, just stuff that should have been ironed out in betas and "just worked" from the beginning. :D

Edit: Except that new configuration thing, but that doesn't count. ;)
I would like to know how much less storage space is required to perform an OTA update (the first bullet point on Chris's list). The previous requirement was "up to 5.7 GB of storage space, depending on iPhone model."

Anyone get an insufficient space to perform OTA update error message displaying the exact amount of space required?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I would like to know how much less storage space is required to perform an OTA update (the first bullet point on Chris's list). The previous requirement was "up to 5.7 GB of storage space, depending on iPhone model."

Anyone get an insufficient space to perform OTA update error message displaying the exact amount of space required?
I thought the 5.7 gb was needed for a major update like 8.0. Do they tell how much one needs per update?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I thought the 5.7 gb was needed for a major update like 8.0. Do they tell how much one needs per update?

You may be right—I may be crazy. That particular figure came from an article on updating to iOS 8.0.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
No problems with the OTA update. I don't see much different but then this is a minor update. Took about ten minutes and I was back in business.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 6

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Maybe my memory is really slipping, but the text of the notes list in the Notes app seems to be larger than before the update. I checked it in Accessibility, but it's set the same. Nothing else looks larger. I use my Notes app quite a bit. Does anyone else notice any difference at all with the Notes app list? I'm on the iP 5.

Adriano73

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2012
UK
My battery was down to 25% last night, after installing day before, I usually only get near 50% after a full day. I hope the software's just settling in.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Got a new 6 plus yesterday. Came with 8.1.2. After the OTA update, it was stuck in Headphone mode. There was never any headphones plugged in to the iPhone every. Could not get it out that mode. Returned it for a replacement.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Got a new 6 plus yesterday. Came with 8.1.2. After the OTA update, it was stuck in Headphone mode. There was never any headphones plugged in to the iPhone every. Could not get it out that mode. Returned it for a replacement.
This is a common problem you can typically fix yourself. Usually, plugging in and removing headphones several times in a row will fix it. If not, a restore should. Did you or Apple try this?

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
This is a common problem you can typically fix yourself. Usually, plugging in and removing headphones several times in a row will fix it. If not, a restore should. Did you or Apple try this?
I tried all the above myself. I did the compressed air, plug and unplug headphones, hard reset and full wipe; nothing worked. This thing was brand new and never had headphones plugged in. Not was it in a pocket to get dirt or lint. Had to be hardware because after a restore to factory settings, it didn't work.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's fine to delete it once you've installed it. They used to auto-delete after the install. I would try rebooting first and see if that cleans it up.